What's new

old Joan dArc pendant

fikys

Full Member
Joined
Dec 27, 2006
Messages
131
Reaction score
24
Golden Thread
0
Location
IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
old Joan d'Arc pendant

I found this pendant MDing long time ago, my wife likes it but I have no idea how old it can be, where it was made and if this is a true gold or plated... It is of the size of a dime. Any help would be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • darc_front.webp
    darc_front.webp
    77.1 KB · Views: 339
  • darc_back.webp
    darc_back.webp
    65.5 KB · Views: 323
  • mark1.webp
    mark1.webp
    78.9 KB · Views: 314
  • mark2.webp
    mark2.webp
    85.9 KB · Views: 308
  • darc_front.webp
    darc_front.webp
    77.1 KB · Views: 330
  • darc_back.webp
    darc_back.webp
    65.5 KB · Views: 325
  • mark1.webp
    mark1.webp
    78.9 KB · Views: 305
  • mark2.webp
    mark2.webp
    85.9 KB · Views: 299
Re: old Joan d'Arc pendant

I assume it is pre-1922 as Jeanne is depicted without saint in front of her name. If this round thing is a halo (I am not a Catholic and don't know about things like that) then it was made around 1909 when she was beautified. There is also some divine motif on the reverse so it can well be 1909 religious medal to commemorate this event. The frame material seems to be brass or copper as there is some green corrosion on it. Can you tell what are the marks?
 
Upvote 0
Re: old Joan d'Arc pendant

I believe the metal of this medal is French Fix. It looks very much like solid gold. It was used for many French religious items.
 
Upvote 0
Re: old Joan d'Arc pendant

Agree with Tuatara...it actually looks like the pendent itself is corroding in that one spot.
 
Upvote 0
Re: old Joan d'Arc pendant

Thank you, Tuatara. This makes sense. Wikipedia says that Joan d'Arc became saint on May 16, 1920.

Unfortunately I don't have this medal with me anymore. My wife took it from me :) and she is out of country right now, so I can not see marks, but when I could I think this is the best I could get. Next time I'll try microscope.

The only question left is if this is a French Fix and not a true gold, how it could come from under 6 inches of soil in this condition? I did not clean it just washed with water. I think it has to be gold plated.
 
Upvote 0
Re: old Joan d'Arc pendant

:o :o

Nice :o but it looks miss-matched :icon_scratch: the centre piece looks Gold :o but the mount not...weird :icon_scratch: but a great piece none the less

SS
 
Upvote 0
Re: old Joan d'Arc pendant

Thank you, Tuatara. This makes sense. Wikipedia says that Joan d'Arc became saint on May 16, 1920. Unfortunately I don't have this medal with me anymore. My wife took it from me and she is out of country right now, so I can not see marks, but when I could I think this is the best I could get. Next time I'll try microscope. The only question left is if this is a French Fix and not a true gold, how it could come from under 6 inches of soil in this condition? I did not clean it just washed with water. I think it has to be gold plated.

As I see it, French Fix is better than gold plated. It's probably an equivalent of gold filled over base metal or silver. The frame might be gold plated but the medal might be gold filled.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom