What's new

Old knife, interesting target sounds on Deus II

robertk

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 16, 2023
Messages
7,089
Reaction score
34,385
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this in my Mystery House Journal, but thought I'd post it here too for those that don't follow the journal. This is from an 1800's homestead site. I just had a short hunt last night with the usual iron stuff (railroad spike, some random bars and bits). But I also found part of a knife. The knife was a very interesting find, partly just because of what it is, but also because of how it sounded on the Deus II. When I got the signal, it made three distinct sounds -- a mid-tone "lead or brass" tweet, a low iron grunt, and another mid-tone tweet. Sweeping at 90 degrees it was a bouncy iron sound. I figured it was probably some bent piece of rusty iron, but the lead-brass sound was convincing enough I thought maybe a shot shell headstamp or a bullet. It turned out to be a knife handle -- with something that looks like lead at the pommel and the bolster. So the detector actually sounded off on the different parts of the same item individually. How's that for target separation?

Anyway... the handle is either wood or bone, kinda hard to tell since it's badly deteriorated, with one side missing entirely. The blade is also missing, but enough of it remains to see it was a fixed blade knife, possibly a table knife or steak knife, since it seems rather small for a hunting or utility knife. The handle is four or five inches long, about like a modern steak knife. As usual, not valuable or especially significant, just kinda cool, IMO.

IMG_1960.webp IMG_1961.webp
 
Upvote 7
YUP I also vote for part of a knife
 
I posted this in my Mystery House Journal, but thought I'd post it here too for those that don't follow the journal. This is from an 1800's homestead site. I just had a short hunt last night with the usual iron stuff (railroad spike, some random bars and bits). But I also found part of a knife. The knife was a very interesting find, partly just because of what it is, but also because of how it sounded on the Deus II. When I got the signal, it made three distinct sounds -- a mid-tone "lead or brass" tweet, a low iron grunt, and another mid-tone tweet. Sweeping at 90 degrees it was a bouncy iron sound. I figured it was probably some bent piece of rusty iron, but the lead-brass sound was convincing enough I thought maybe a shot shell headstamp or a bullet. It turned out to be a knife handle -- with something that looks like lead at the pommel and the bolster. So the detector actually sounded off on the different parts of the same item individually. How's that for target separation?

Anyway... the handle is either wood or bone, kinda hard to tell since it's badly deteriorated, with one side missing entirely. The blade is also missing, but enough of it remains to see it was a fixed blade knife, possibly a table knife or steak knife, since it seems rather small for a hunting or utility knife. The handle is four or five inches long, about like a modern steak knife. As usual, not valuable or especially significant, just kinda cool, IMO.

View attachment 2102983 View attachment 2102984
When I dig up a target such as yours (little piece of nonferrous )stuck on a larger piece of iron I smile, or have said cool even out loud.
It shows a few things, I'm tuned into the sounds, and the Deus ll is certainly doing its ability for separation.

Grant it there are the times we both get fooled, and it turns out to be something that I should of passed on.

Though I'm still young in the game regarding the D2 so every time out is a learning process.
 
I posted this in my Mystery House Journal, but thought I'd post it here too for those that don't follow the journal. This is from an 1800's homestead site. I just had a short hunt last night with the usual iron stuff (railroad spike, some random bars and bits). But I also found part of a knife. The knife was a very interesting find, partly just because of what it is, but also because of how it sounded on the Deus II. When I got the signal, it made three distinct sounds -- a mid-tone "lead or brass" tweet, a low iron grunt, and another mid-tone tweet. Sweeping at 90 degrees it was a bouncy iron sound. I figured it was probably some bent piece of rusty iron, but the lead-brass sound was convincing enough I thought maybe a shot shell headstamp or a bullet. It turned out to be a knife handle -- with something that looks like lead at the pommel and the bolster. So the detector actually sounded off on the different parts of the same item individually. How's that for target separation?

Anyway... the handle is either wood or bone, kinda hard to tell since it's badly deteriorated, with one side missing entirely. The blade is also missing, but enough of it remains to see it was a fixed blade knife, possibly a table knife or steak knife, since it seems rather small for a hunting or utility knife. The handle is four or five inches long, about like a modern steak knife. As usual, not valuable or especially significant, just kinda cool, IMO.

View attachment 2102983 View attachment 2102984
Nice!!! Congrats!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom