What's new

Ending 2025 on a High Note: 1757 KG II

Silvermonkey

Gold Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2013
Messages
5,615
Reaction score
13,878
Golden Thread
2
Location
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
2
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Despite the wind ( it was really windy), despite the cold ( it was pretty damn cold too), I was able to get out yesterday for the final hunt of 2025. Tried a new wooded area about 40 minutes from home. Surprisingly the ground was not completely frozen, so a went to work. Lots of lead and shotgun headstamps to start my 3 hour excursion. I also managed to find an ox knob (encouraging), one wheatie, and a clad quarter.

02.webp


Towards the end of the hunt, I hit on a deep sounding target with a VDI of 82 on my Deus II. I decided to dig it even though it sure sounded like another hunk of lead. Out popped this large copper:

01.webp


I was surprised to see a copper in the hole given the lower VDI. For me, a British half penny is usually 87-88, and a US large cent is about a 92-94. After some initial cleaning at home I was rewarded with a KGII half penny:

04.webp
03.webp


I think its an 1757...but not 100%. Maybe with some additional cleaning I will be able to tell for sure. Regardless, I'm super pleased. This coin was my 20th large copper for the year, a personal best. Wishing everyone out there a very Happy New Year! Cheers!!!
 
Upvote 37
Great way of ending the year, congratulations.
82-Heck ya, that's a good digging # for LCs.
It was probably the depth that might have changed the # for you.
US LC #92 or shallow early tokens we get often.
 
Congratulations for that great find to end 2025!
 
Good find. I can’t make out the date, but it’s not 1757. These halfpennies were minted in 1740 and then from 1742-1754. From 1746-1754 the king’s name was spelled ‘GEORGIVS’ (as on yours) rather than the earlier ‘GEORGIUS’.
 
Despite the wind ( it was really windy), despite the cold ( it was pretty damn cold too), I was able to get out yesterday for the final hunt of 2025. Tried a new wooded area about 40 minutes from home. Surprisingly the ground was not completely frozen, so a went to work. Lots of lead and shotgun headstamps to start my 3 hour excursion. I also managed to find an ox knob (encouraging), one wheatie, and a clad quarter.

View attachment 2239245

Towards the end of the hunt, I hit on a deep sounding target with a VDI of 82 on my Deus II. I decided to dig it even though it sure sounded like another hunk of lead. Out popped this large copper:

View attachment 2239255

I was surprised to see a copper in the hole given the lower VDI. For me, a British half penny is usually 87-88, and a US large cent is about a 92-94. After some initial cleaning at home I was rewarded with a KGII half penny:

View attachment 2239262View attachment 2239263

I think its an 1757...but not 100%. Maybe with some additional cleaning I will be able to tell for sure. Regardless, I'm super pleased. This coin was my 20th large copper for the year, a personal best. Wishing everyone out there a very Happy New Year! Cheers!!!
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!
 
Thanks to everyone for your comments. I went back to that same site today and pretty much struck out. Redcoat- Thanks for the information regarding possible dates. I'm going to have to take a closer look.
 
Despite the wind ( it was really windy), despite the cold ( it was pretty damn cold too), I was able to get out yesterday for the final hunt of 2025. Tried a new wooded area about 40 minutes from home. Surprisingly the ground was not completely frozen, so a went to work. Lots of lead and shotgun headstamps to start my 3 hour excursion. I also managed to find an ox knob (encouraging), one wheatie, and a clad quarter.

View attachment 2239245

Towards the end of the hunt, I hit on a deep sounding target with a VDI of 82 on my Deus II. I decided to dig it even though it sure sounded like another hunk of lead. Out popped this large copper:

View attachment 2239255

I was surprised to see a copper in the hole given the lower VDI. For me, a British half penny is usually 87-88, and a US large cent is about a 92-94. After some initial cleaning at home I was rewarded with a KGII half penny:

View attachment 2239262View attachment 2239263

I think its an 1757...but not 100%. Maybe with some additional cleaning I will be able to tell for sure. Regardless, I'm super pleased. This coin was my 20th large copper for the year, a personal best. Wishing everyone out there a very Happy New Year! Cheers!!!
Nice job on the finds. Even with the cold and wind, it’s always good to get out and blow out the cobwebs🤣
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom