Old Lead Cross & Musket Ball - Help Identifying

Trika

Jan 7, 2023
Hello, all! I am new here, and I would be grateful for your help in identifying who might have made these items found deep in mud in a creek bed in Northern Utah. They were about 2-3 feet apart from each other, and so I have to wonder if they are related to each other. I was a real dummy and tried to clean off a small area of the front of the cross some years ago, and I wish I hadn't. That was before I knew much about these things, and I have much more to learn.

Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas as to who might have made them, what their possible history could be, etc.? I have a few of my own thoughts, but I'm certainly not sure.

Thank you for your help - grateful to be part of this community!
Front Lead Cross : Lead Musket Ball.png
Back Lead Cross : Lead Musket Ball.png

Upvote 11

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet.
Any homemade Lead item is very tricky to date, could be done by anyone at any time.
There is enough corrosion to make an educated guess that its been in the ground at least 100 years, but without expensive analysis or without it coming from a seal archaeological context it's anyone's guess. A sealed archaeological layer needs other datable material, nearby finds don't count when trying to date a site or area of interest.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to the forum
The ball looks like a split shot (fishing weight)
Cross resembles the part where sq. items are cut from a sheet, and it's the part remains between the cut outs.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to treasure net. Not all lead balls were shot out of a small gun. Some times they were put in canon shells for shrapnel. Not saying this is the case but one must think of all possibilities

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, all! I am new here, and I would be grateful for your help in identifying who might have made these items found deep in mud in a creek bed in Northern Utah. They were about 2-3 feet apart from each other, and so I have to wonder if they are related to each other. I was a real dummy and tried to clean off a small area of the front of the cross some years ago, and I wish I hadn't. That was before I knew much about these things, and I have much more to learn.

Does anyone have any thoughts/ideas as to who might have made them, what their possible history could be, etc.? I have a few of my own thoughts, but I'm certainly not sure.

Thank you for your help - grateful to be part of this community! View attachment 2063520 View attachment 2063521
Very Cool!!! Congrats !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread