✅ SOLVED Old or new hook??? Is this lead shot?????

Nini1965

Greenie
May 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dug these two items up from a depth of approx. 12 inches. Both items are from Eastern Ontario, Canada and the field was used for cattle grazing, farming etc. I have no idea what the hook item is. Could it be a suspender hook or some fencing hook?
The other item is I believe lead shot. It was oxidized white, not corroded. It's quite heavy ..... Any input would be greatly appreciated! I am just a beginner at metal detecting .....
Hook.jpg Lead Shot.jpg

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your lead ball is "somewhat" out-of-round, which makes it difficult to measure with precise accuracy. That being said, the ruler in your photo indicates the ball's diameter is approximately .36-inch.

It shows no rifling-marks from being fired out of an 1840s-or-later pistol (such as, an early Colt .36 revolver). So, if it is indeed a Firearms projectile, it is either a fired pistolball from a pre-1840s smoothbore .36 pistol, or a 000-gauge buckshot from a more recent time-period. The numerical odds favor the latter... every 000 shotgun shell ever fired in the past 150 years had about a dozen .36" balls in it, whereas pre-1840s smoothbore .36 pistols were rare, and they fired only one ball at a time.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Nini1965

Greenie
May 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for the information. I have learnt a great deal. Much appreciated :-)

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Looking at the flattened spots and the little cratering on the ball, I agree with Cannonball. It was loaded and fired from a shot gun shell, the cratering is from the packing material that is packed around the balls in the unfired shell, and the flattened places are where it was in contact with the other balls in the shell, the cratering and flattening occurring when the gun was fired. The shell didn't hit anything up close, and reached terminal velocity before dropping to the ground, so there is very little other deformation.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

Nini1965

Greenie
May 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for the info ..... I have a lot to learn!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions