Would love more info on this pistol

roma01

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had posted this in another section and they said to post it here.

Any information is very welcome.
It has not seen much daylight in about 45 years, I found it in the bottom of an old wooden chest.
I unfortunately could not bring it home with me so only have these 2 photo's.
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• DSC00248.JPG
    DSC00248.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 364
  • DSC00249.JPG
    DSC00249.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 271

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its what is commonly called a "Muff Pistol",or "Boot "were usually made in England,and were quite common during the 19 th Century.I am not real sure I have ever seen one with the devise on the fore end?

these are Belgian
Belgianmuff.jpg

very interesting....is yours two barrel?If so...it appears that that front lever un-locks the barrels to swivel to load them!
belgian.jpg

this one is actually a Pinfire which is pretty Rare....may be another reason,I dont recall seeing one like it! :laughing7:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kuger got it. It's a boot, or muff pistol, and a pinfire. I can't tell you more than that without knowing any makers marks or proof marks. It could date to anywhere from the 1830's to the early 1860's.

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
It has a maker's name (actually names) on the barrel. The first name starts with an S, and I can make out an & after the name. I think the first is too long to be Smith. But I don't know a lot of old gun makers' names, so...

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I posted about this in another thread...I think it is german...but...without proof marks...it is all guess work

ok... that pistole have two barrels?
File:Reiterpistolelefthand.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

a variant on this...lock for breech similar...look for proof marks please...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

roma01

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help.
At the moment the problem is that the pistol is in Australia, if it is antique then we should not have a problem getting it out of the country. So am trying to find a age for it. Also of course to know more about it.
I will be back there is a couple of months then also look at proofmarks. Ok I have no idea, where should I look for proofmarks and what am I looking for?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TomPA

Feb 13, 2011
Western PA.
Detector(s) used
F75
AT Pro Gold
Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You would be looking to see if it had one hole/muzzle for the bullet to come out of, or if it has 2 holes/barrels (Like a double barrel shotgun).
Proof marks are small letters and designs that provide info on the manufacturer or maker.

Upvote 0

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would be looking to see if it had one hole/muzzle for the bullet to come out of, or if it has 2 holes/barrels (Like a double barrel shotgun).
Proof marks are small letters and designs that provide info on the manufacturer or maker.

...and the proofmarks are usually at the end of the barrel(the tube,where the bullets come out)closest toward the handle
8.gif

...as far as a Date to show its an antique.....I would confidently say that gun was made no later ....at latest 1860(my un-proffessional opinion)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

roma01

Tenderfoot
May 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sorry TomPa: I still must be jetlagged with the way I put the question (that was VERY 'blond') about the 1 or 2 barrels. For me it is very logical that it has one and I thought it would be logical for every-one, that's why I got confused. But later realised you probably cannot see in the photo how many it has.

Upvote 0

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
There are probably people that will read this that don't understand pin fire guns.

This is a photo of a pin fire bullet. pin fire.jpg The hammer hits the protruding pin, which then is driven into and strikes the primer located inside the cartridge case. pin_fire_gun.png This type of gun was invented by Frenchman Casimir Lefaucheux in 1828 but not patented until 1835. They were not popular in England or the United States, because the red neck gun makers of that day, pointed out how dangerous a gun that broke apart in the middle was, compared to the well made, solid muzzle loader. But I guess pin fire guns were used a lot in Europe, some even in the military, with the pistol being the most popular rather than shot guns or rifles. The pistols became popular for ease of loading as breech loaders in the days of muzzle loaders, but the pin fire was a much under powered cartridge, and by the civil war when more powerful revolvers were being developed, the pin fire guns began to loose their popularity. Kuger is probably right about the age being mid 1800's, however pin fire pistols were manufactured in France until about 1880. However, in the late 40's, I was probably 11 or 12, I bought a novelty pin fire pistol which couldn't have cost much money, because I didn't have much. It was supposed to shoot very small pin fire blanks, and the sucker was really loud. We found that about number 6 bird shot would fit in the barrel, and now the darn thing became dangerous, and yes, I got in trouble once again, but not for injuring anyone, it made a cute little hole in a window pane. Of course I lost the gun, and my butt was warmed, but I expect now days I'd have been rounded up as a terrorist, and probably do hard time, and never allowed to own a gun again.

Upvote 0

AaronN322

Mar 1, 2011
Canton, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is mine similar to that.

When you push the lever to the side and partially cock the hammers the barrel will then swivel down. THis particular one is 7mm

French-7mm-Pinfire-Boxlock-Pistol.jpg

Here is another variation, in 9mm:
9mm-Boxlock.jpg

and in 15mm:

15mm.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread