What's new

old or new statue?

rockpassion

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2024
Messages
540
Reaction score
605
Golden Thread
0
is this statue very old, old or new. It supposed to be an Arhat statue, japanese or chinese?? any info is aprecciated. it is made of solid stone and weighs 43 kilo and is 46 cm high. I posted also on asian art forum but they are offline for now??
 

Attachments

  • 20260311_122229.webp
    20260311_122229.webp
    1.5 MB · Views: 71
  • 20260311_122309.webp
    20260311_122309.webp
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • 20260311_122254.webp
    20260311_122254.webp
    862.7 KB · Views: 53
  • 20260308_113520.webp
    20260308_113520.webp
    2.1 MB · Views: 52
  • 20260308_113524.webp
    20260308_113524.webp
    2.3 MB · Views: 60
Nice. It’s definitely Arhat, which would be the term used in India, or Luohan (羅漢) in China, and Rakan (羅漢) in Japan. Beyond it being Buddhist, I don’t think there’s a reliable way to say which Asian country it’s from.

I don’t see any signs of modern rotary tools, so I would vote likely ‘old’ but not ancient.
 
Nice. It’s definitely Arhat, which would be the term used in India, or Luohan (羅漢) in China, and Rakan (羅漢) in Japan. Beyond it being Buddhist, I don’t think there’s a reliable way to say which Asian country it’s from.

I don’t see any signs of modern rotary tools, so I would vote likely ‘old’ but not ancient.
thank you for your reply and yes i aslo strugled to find out from which country it is and then i am not even talking also the numerous types of arhats or lohans that there are. But i like it allot.
 
compaire these two, they have the same hairstyle carving, the grey statue is from 1200 ad. but that is wishfull thinking on my part off course
 

Attachments

  • Coro_do_Mestre_Mateo_01-01f,_Mateo_evanxelista.webp
    Coro_do_Mestre_Mateo_01-01f,_Mateo_evanxelista.webp
    59.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 20260311_122254.webp
    20260311_122254.webp
    862.7 KB · Views: 45
It looks like an Asian Greek fusion art style. I think the key to finding more info about that statue is to look at the eyebrows. Finding statues with those eyebrow styles might help. The eyebrows being dominate on the sculpture could be a clue to a cultural significance and not just decoration.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom