What's new

Old Pewter Spoon Handle marked BRIT ???

Breezie

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2009
Messages
6,278
Reaction score
2,120
Golden Thread
1
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey,
Tonight I was separating the wheat from the tares and discovered this old, thick pewter spoon has marking on the back. From what I can see it is marked: BRIT and perhaps a D E on top and a M underneath. If I'm remembering correctly, it was found in a CW Cavalry camp. Any info or help would be appreciated. ;D Breezie
 

Attachments

  • PewterSpoonSide.webp
    PewterSpoonSide.webp
    12.6 KB · Views: 277
  • PewterSpoonTopView.webp
    PewterSpoonTopView.webp
    10.9 KB · Views: 411
  • PewterSpoonBack.webp
    PewterSpoonBack.webp
    30.3 KB · Views: 249
could be BRITNEY *heart* someone with the first letter "M" cuz it looks like i can c half a heart there
 
Upvote 0
Yup that was my thought too. BRITANNIA (crown) METAL for a mark.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks for your ideas on Britannia, but I don't think it is because Britannia's composition is approximately 93% tin, 5% antimony, and 2% copper. With Britannia being 93% tin, it should attract a magnet, and this does not. Also, Britannia is very smooth & light weight, and this is handle has an extremely rough texture and very heavy for its size. ;D Breezie
 
Upvote 0
Lucas said:
Britannia replaced pewter around 1800. ;D

Mmm, that's interesting. Can you find or do you know if any of the Britannia was as crude as this spoon? The Brit I've seen was more highly polished, smooth, and basically more fancy. Thanks, Breezie
 
Upvote 0
That DE looks hand engraved, whereas the BRIT looks stamped to me? Perhaps DE was someone's (soldier's) initials to keep track of his spoon! :dontknow: That's my psychic point of view...Paul
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom