What's new

Old photo on copper plate / Colonial crack pipe / A bit of silver

ModernMiner

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 9, 2007
Messages
14,115
Reaction score
4,541
Golden Thread
4
Location
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
5
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by the old farmhouse after work where I dug the Walker half in the soybean field weeks ago. I had about an hour before it got dark so I worked an area behind the house where a barn used to be. One of my first signals was a Rosie dime. :thumbsup: I then dug a thin old square piece of copper which I thought was just a piece of a shingle, but I could faintly see some design on it. When I got it home under the light I could see there was a photo on it! :o I was hoping it would be late 1800's or early 1900's, but the photo looks to be of a 1950's kitchen. :dontknow: The stove & kitchen table are definitely 1950's. I know there was film in the 1950's, so why is this photo on a piece of copper? What is it???

My other finds were:
*1963 Rosie dime & 1946 wheat
*Colonial crack pipe ;D (or part of an old gas lamp) :icon_scratch:
*Cuff button
*A few whats-its :dontknow:

That's all folks. Thanks for looking.
-MM-
 

Attachments

  • MVC-031S.webp
    MVC-031S.webp
    13.9 KB · Views: 1,426
  • MVC-032S.webp
    MVC-032S.webp
    15.6 KB · Views: 1,418
  • MVC-033S.webp
    MVC-033S.webp
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,390
  • MVC-034S.webp
    MVC-034S.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,499
  • MVC-035S.webp
    MVC-035S.webp
    36.8 KB · Views: 1,584
Upvote 0
Not bad for a Jack Wagon who whined about losing his rabbit's foot. Is that copper image advertising memorabilia? Very nice for what had to be short hunt. Did you feel the presence of CW Soldier's at lunch today. WTG, Quindy.
 
Wow! :o Those are some great looking finds MM! :notworthy:
I really like that copper plate, no idea what it's use might have been though? :icon_scratch:
 
VOL1266-X said:
Not bad for a Jack Wagon who whined about losing his rabbit's foot. Is that copper image advertising memorabilia? Very nice for what had to be short hunt. Did you feel the presence of CW Soldier's at lunch today. WTGT, Quindy.

Q-
I had my lucky underwear on today. Lucky if they are clean that is. :tongue3: :laughing9: I was hoping it was going to be Marilyn Monroe on the photo , but I don't think she ever had to use a kitchen. :dontknow:

I did feel the presence of CW soldiers at lunch when I texted you. I was eating lunch looking out over the hilly yard area where I dug my first CW relics ever. Huge oaks, large stream below, then woods. Amazing to think that soldiers camped right there. :angel7:
-Dug-
 
Antiquarian said:
Wow! :o Those are some great looking finds MM! :notworthy:
I really like that copper plate, no idea what it's use might have been though? :icon_scratch:

Thanks. :thumbsup: When it came out of the ground it was actually curved and had a dent in one corner. You can see the crease on the back. It's pretty think and bent back into shape fairly easily. I'm glad it didn't snap in half. :o
-MM-

tlf67 said:
Interesting finds.

One of my strangest, that's for sure. ;D
-MM-
 
It might be a piece of a copper rotogravure printing plate. The image was etched into copper in the old days. The used copper plates were sometimes reused for flashing, etc., since they could only be used once for printing. That would also explain why it was curved, since the copper plate was in the form of a cylinder.
 
Doug I think the copper plate may have been used on a printing press :icon_scratch:
Nice finds on the rest :thumbsup:
Thanks for NOT showing the underwear :laughing7:...Jackwagon,I love that commercial...
Soup
 
DougF said:
It might be a piece of a copper rotogravure printing plate. The image was etched into copper in the old days. The used copper plates were sometimes reused for flashing, etc., since they could only be used once for printing. That would also explain why it was curved, since the copper plate was in the form of a cylinder.

Very interesting. :icon_thumleft:
Thanks from one Doug to another.
Very unusual find for me. For some reason most of my finds (coins & this photo) all seem to fall in the 1940's and 50's.
Where's the OLD suff? :icon_scratch: ;D
-Dug-
 
My thoughts exactly DougF,My uncle use to work at the local paper and was always bringing home the plates,there aluminum now..
He was to cheap to buy shingles and used them for roofing his little shed...
Soup
 
Soupie said:
My thoughts exactly DougF,My uncle use to work at the local paper and was always bringing home the plates,there aluminum now..
He was to cheap to buy shingles and used them for roofing his little shed...
Soup

Scott,
I could see that. My great-grandfather (a big collector & taxidermist) built his own small museum to house his stuff. He shingled the whole building with flattened tin cans. Check it out. I would hate to detect that spot today! :tongue3:
-Doug-
 

Attachments

  • museum1939January8.webp
    museum1939January8.webp
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,352
That looks like Nancy Reagan :o
 
aa battery said:
That looks like Nancy Reagan :o

Agreed! Must be from the 1800's when she was still young!
 
Interesting finds, Dug. I don't know what some of those finds are, but if they clean up fairly well they will look good in a curio cabinet.
 
Nice Pipe.... congrats ! :thumbsup:
 
oldcoon said:
Interesting finds, Dug. I don't know what some of those finds are, but if they clean up fairly well they will look good in a curio cabinet.

Thanks Coon,
I'm actually going to make a display to give to the property owners as my appreciation for letting me detect there. They already have a few more properties (friends) in line for me. :thumbsup:
-Dug-

HISPAN said:
Nice Pipe.... congrats ! :thumbsup:

Thanks Hispan.
I wish it were a pipe. I'm still trying to find one of those old clay pipes like I've seen other on here dig.
-MM-
 
That copper plate is the find of the day!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Cool relic for sure!

I hope there's more big silver waiting for you there! :wink:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom