old photo slides to regular photos ??

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a ton of slide photos that go in a projector and i was wondering can they be made into photos hopefully digital? The only reason I'm asking is the photographer is dead and i inherited his stuff of some very good quality shots of the high Sierra and the early days of logging. Some of the slides are glass something i haven't seen before. any way i could use some help. thanks....AA

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AA,

Yes, it can be done. My son had this done for his dad for Father's Day. Slides of family (from the 60's) when they lived in the city till they moved to their current home in the country. Then Navy tours. I had told my son I would pay for the Navy stuff.

I nearly passed out when I got the bill, he nearly flipped at the store. Always check the prices before having this done.

2 DVD picture albums $139.20 (This is just a copy)

4 CD (blank) $21.

148 @ .75 = $111.
126 @.75 = $94.50

with the tax totaled to $393.13

It takes at least a week to complete the total process of taking pictures of the slides and converting to the CD

:wink: RR

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
River Rat said:
AA,

Yes, it can be done. My son had this done for his dad for Father's Day. Slides of family (from the 60's) when they lived in the city till they moved to their current home in the country. Then Navy tours. I had told my son I would pay for the Navy stuff.

I nearly passed out when I got the bill, he nearly flipped at the store. Always check the prices before having this done.

2 DVD picture albums $139.20 (This is just a copy)

4 CD (blank) $21.

148 @ .75 = $111.
126 @.75 = $94.50

with the tax totaled to $393.13

It takes at least a week to complete the total process of taking pictures of the slides and converting to the CD

:wink: RR
i think i just had a heart attack but these photos are as good as Ansel Adams and Pop Laval maybe i can pick and choose because there is over 500 of um. thanks ...Frank

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Another suggestion for you...a flatbed scanner.
I have a HP Scanjet 4850 that's set up to do exactly what you're asking. Cost me a couple hundred bucks but it's a great scanner. I scanned old family pics, entire pages and it allows me to cut each photo from the page without having to remove each individual one from the album. It also has a slot for negatives and slides.

Al

I just checked....the 4850 isn't available anymore but the G4010 took it's place and only costs around $140.00.

Try this link...http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/15179-15179-64195-298148-3445112-3236364.html

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deepskyal said:
Another suggestion for you...a flatbed scanner.
I have a HP Scanjet 4850 that's set up to do exactly what you're asking. Cost me a couple hundred bucks but it's a great scanner. I scanned old family pics, entire pages and it allows me to cut each photo from the page without having to remove each individual one from the album. It also has a slot for negatives and slides.

Al

I just checked....the 4850 isn't available anymore but the G4010 took it's place and only costs around $140.00.

Try this link...http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/15179-15179-64195-298148-3445112-3236364.html
i like that idea :thumbsup:

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi AA,
I have a Epson RX600 that will scan slides and photo negatives. Scan and save to your pc, then burn on a cd/dvd.
I am sure there are some newer ones on the market that are cheaper than what I paid for mine.
If you have that many slides I would consider buying one. The money you save doing it yourself will pay for a new printer/scanner.

Just a thought
Steve

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hemisteve said:
Hi AA,
I have a Epson RX600 that will scan slides and photo negatives. Scan and save to your pc, then burn on a cd/dvd.
I am sure there are some newer ones on the market that are cheaper than what I paid for mine.
If you have that many slides I would consider buying one. The money you save doing it yourself will pay for a new printer/scanner.

Just a thought
Steve
let me get the ok from the Warden and i will send you 1

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aa....the scanner is a good idea....and I didn't have to pay 200 bucks...I bought a visioneer one touch 8920 usb scanner for 5 bucks at a flea market...when I got it home it had the materials to convert slides to pictures...Very cheap way to get it done.

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SC_hunter said:
aa....the scanner is a good idea....and I didn't have to pay 200 bucks...I bought a visioneer one touch 8920 usb scanner for 5 bucks at a flea market...when I got it home it had the materials to convert slides to pictures...Very cheap way to get it done.
i woudnt ask unless these pics were good and from 1 to 10 i give um an 8

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi AA,
I think you misunderstood my post.
What I meant was it could be cheaper for you to buy a scanner/printer than to outsource to a photo company. After seeing what RR paid, you can scan and print all you want for a nominal cost.

Sounds like you have received quite a collection of photos. Hope you can archive those and print some nice portraits.
Steve

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hemisteve said:
Hi AA,
I think you misunderstood my post.
What I meant was it could be cheaper for you to buy a scanner/printer than to outsource to a photo company. After seeing what RR paid, you can scan and print all you want for a nominal cost.

Sounds like you have received quite a collection of photos. Hope you can archive those and print some nice portraits.
Steve
i understand i was going to send you one for free

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey AA,

I've got an older Epson Perfection 1670 (will take slides or negative strips) and finished up a pile of slides and some negs from the late 50s & 60s. Scanned em in then used just the autoadjustments in PhotoShop. Some of them were really faded & I thought they would be lost Photoshop did an excellent job. I'm getting pretty good at it if I can help ya or answer a question give me a yell!

The only bad part is I've got another pile of trays to do probably 1500 or more slides from grandpa.

OP
OP
aa battery

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
Hey AA,

I've got an older Epson Perfection 1670 (will take slides or negative strips) and finished up a pile of slides and some negs from the late 50s & 60s. Scanned em in then used just the autoadjustments in PhotoShop. Some of them were really faded & I thought they would be lost Photoshop did an excellent job. I'm getting pretty good at it if I can help ya or answer a question give me a yell!

The only bad part is I've got another pile of trays to do probably 1500 or more slides from grandpa.
:o :thumbsup:

ac385

Jul 26, 2005
Ga
You have a couple of options that will work for you. I’m not sure what you want to do with the digital copies of the slides but since you say they are very good and are about an 8 out of 10 quality wise I would advise against a flat bed scanner. If you want to resolve everything that the film has to offer a flat bed just can’t do it. If on the other hand you only want to make 4x6 prints or email some low res images to friends then the flat bed would work fine, if not read bellow.

Option 1: Buy a really good scanner that is made for the job such as the Nikon’s CoolScan line. The dedicated film scanners offer higher scanning resolution and more powerful software. The film scanners will run you a little bit but when you are done with the project you can resell on ebay for not much of a loss. If you have thousand of scans to do then this could be an option to save money.

Option 2: Send the film away to have it scanned. I am about to send some film from a Guatemala trip off and they pretty much are the best around. They offer pro scanning and consumer scanning depending on your needs. http://www.scancafe.com/

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions