What's new

Old Porcelain Sign

Old School Evan

Tenderfoot
Joined
May 26, 2011
Messages
6
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Historic Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone, I am new to Treasure Net but have been detecting for about 6 years now and mostly hit Colonial sites but will detect anywhere... Today I found a porcelain sign that reads "POLIO is cheaper than drugs" I don't have much knowledge on porcelain signs, and think it may have been an old hospital site or dump as there were a lot of bottles from the same period. Any info on the sign would ne awesome thanks!!!

HH,

-Evan
 

Attachments

  • IMAG0439-1.webp
    IMAG0439-1.webp
    154.3 KB · Views: 372
After you texted me, I searched for a while and could not find anything on it. I'm sure someone here will ID it for you.
 
Upvote 0
Firstly - Welcome to Treasurenet. :hello:
Can you be sure the sign reads 'Polio' ?
It's a bit incongruous. :icon_scratch:

polio sign.2.webp

If it is definitely, it might be a form of 'protest' sign against the big drug companies of the time.
That time might have been anywhere from the 1930's through to the 1950's.

I'm young enough to remember the devastating effects of the Polio epidemic. I remember "The Pink Drink". I remember contemporaries who suffered. I don't know if they're still alive.

Here is an excellent site describing the time line (close to half way down page) of advancement of the vaccine.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/the-politics-of-polio/Content?oid=870701

Mike
 
Upvote 0
How much metal is to the left of POLIO? Dont mind me, Im just curious. Could there be another word?
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom