What's new

Old posey ring?

CrazySlasher

Hero Member
Joined
Jul 6, 2010
Messages
735
Reaction score
96
Golden Thread
1
Location
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this ring a while back and it's been in the back of my mind since I dug it out of the ground. I had someone look at who was NOT an expert at jewelery and she thought it was from the 1960's. I did have someone else look at who didn't know anything about jewelry but owns a scrap yard and he told me he was pretty sure it was white gold. The only marking on the inside says "6." The reason I think it's older is because everything I pulled out of the spot where this was found was from the 1800's-early 1900's. This was found literally in between a MA Militia Cap Plate from 1825 and an 1874 Liberty Seated Dime.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0365.webp
    IMG_0365.webp
    3.4 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_0366.webp
    IMG_0366.webp
    3.1 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_0367.webp
    IMG_0367.webp
    3.2 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0372.webp
    IMG_0372.webp
    4.5 KB · Views: 353
60's is prob right. I found one that reminds me of yours. Found mine in a early 30's and up park. Its amazing how things find thier way in the ground.
 

Attachments

  • brawr.webp
    brawr.webp
    18.8 KB · Views: 314
  • oorgle.webp
    oorgle.webp
    25.6 KB · Views: 335
Upvote 0
oh my precious.... :laughing9: just kidding. thats a nice ring looks about 60's to me.
 

Attachments

  • lord of the rings.webp
    lord of the rings.webp
    4.3 KB · Views: 282
Upvote 0
Posey rings are 1600s finds, and usually high karat gold. Yours looks to be about 350 years after that.
 
Upvote 0
I see no reason your ring wouldn't be considered a posey ring.As long as I'm seeing LOVE on it.Even if it was made yesterday. So called posey,posy,poesy are being made to this day that I know of.The were popular in the 15,16,17 centuries.From what I read the early ones were written on the out side of the band/ring.From 16th century on they started writing on the inside.Just google the words with ring and pick from a wide selection. :laughing7: all brand new and ready for you. :D
Style of writing,ring it self,and gold content would be a way to judge.(older ones) :icon_scratch: Even then :-\
I may be wrong but it be hard to argue when I see thousands of images of new ones being made. :icon_scratch: :wink:
Take Care,
Pete :hello:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posie_ring


A posey ring or love ring, is a simple gold band engraved with a brief sentiment or poem on the outside. They were used as a lover's token, a wedding ring, or simply as a means of showing regard or giving a gift.

 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom