diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was just saying you don’t find any thing if you don’t get out. I headed out with the dog for a quick hunt. Boom, first hole I found this. I am always hoping for a local railroad lock. This will have to do until I find an embossed one. There were quite a few railroads around the Cripple Creek district. This one was near the Florence and Cripple Creek Golden Circle. Maybe it can be tracked down to it, but it is probably a common lock. I searched for the key:( It sure is a beauty of a lock for me!!! Anyone recognize the maker? Hope spring comes early!!!! A159EEB3-52E9-45BF-B17F-D851A9E54F5B.jpeg 20DA87AA-A789-4646-BFF5-21A0770C13BB.jpeg

Upvote 21

ecmjamsit

Dec 2, 2007
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster GMT, GMII,Whites Sierra Super Trac, Ace250, Teknetics Gamma 6000, Whites Pinpointer,Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent find! I wonder what the date of manufacture is ? Could it have been held by Winfield Scott Stratton himself ?

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find! That lock looks like with a little WD40, it would work just fine. Amazing condition!

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Washtonian looks like we are lock brothers! Thanks for the kind words Ecmjamsit, I have always wanted to dig Stratton’s outhouse:) Thanks Yak!!! Kray the latch is broken but I may polish it up for my collection until I find that rare one!! Thanks for the posts!!!

Chizzy

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2015
North Central PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Vaquero, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find at least one railroad key every year........no locks. That's a beaut you unearthed.........congrats!!

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Chizzy I bet you have a nice collection! I would like to find one! Thanks Thrilla! It will look nice with some other train stuff!! Thanks for the posts!!

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE !!!!! Sweet lock . I found a few local RR locks through the years , one was a F&CC that had been hit with an axe or chisel 5 or 6 times and shot with two different calibers . Any stamping on the hasp ?

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Charlie! Glad you have some. When I found mine, the front was covered with dirt! I was sure hoping for some stamping or lettering. Maybe next time:) It was an exciting find!

Thaddeus

Dec 29, 2017
NFA
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 400i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always wanted one.......nice find in amazing condition........could be a fairly recent loss. How close were you to tracks? How close to the switches or signals? Are these tracks still used?

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old brass Railway locks just REEK of COOL! Very nice find. May more come under your coil and with stamping.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Thaddeus, There were 3 different railroads in the area! They tore out the tracks long ago. The trains are long gone. I have always wanted to look around the switches and signals. Thanks ATW and Kurios for the encouragement, I hope to have a local one someday!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions