What's new

Old razor? UPDATE!

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 31, 2009
Messages
1,861
Reaction score
83
Golden Thread
0
Location
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this today. It fell apart when I cleaned some of the dirt out of it. I am thinking some kind of old razor. What do you think?
How old?

I cleaned the dirt off today, it says GEM Safety Razor Pat Dec 27 98.

Here is a little about it:
The Kampfe brothers, who patented the first safety razor in the US, formed a manufacturing company in 1875. They make the "Star" razor. It was the first safety razor made in the United States. The Star Razor's revolutionary design won national and international awards for design and craftsmanship. In 1898, after working for the Kampfe Brothers for 23 years, an employee, Jerry Reichard, leaves to form the Gem Cutlery company, later renamed the Gem Safety Razor Company. Its first product, the Gem Safety Razor, borrows heavily from the Star Razor in design but soon outpaces the Star and becomes one of the world's most famous razor and blades ever made. Reichard, the founder of Gem -- leaves again to form the Yankee company, which is soon renamed the Ever-Ready Company. Ever-Ready and Gem quickly re-merge as the American Safety Razor Company, in 1906. In 1919, they absorb the Star brand as well. The company purchases the PAL blade company in 1953. Philip Morris purchases the company in 1960. Philip Morris purchases Burma-Vita company (makers of Burma-Shave) in 1968. ASR bought the Burma-Shave brand from Philip Morris in 1979, after a management buyout of ASR from Philip Morris in 1976.
 

Attachments

  • 1.webp
    1.webp
    9.4 KB · Views: 423
  • 2.webp
    2.webp
    8.3 KB · Views: 381
  • 3.webp
    3.webp
    15.3 KB · Views: 388
  • 4.webp
    4.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 382
  • Razor.webp
    Razor.webp
    15.9 KB · Views: 232
  • Razor2.webp
    Razor2.webp
    14.4 KB · Views: 236
Re: Old razor?

Yup, antique single edge razor.
 

Attachments

  • razor.webp
    razor.webp
    28 KB · Views: 387
Upvote 0
Re: Old razor?

DigginThePast said:
Yup, antique single edge razor.

Neat! I wish I had found the handle too.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Old razor?

SkyPirate said:
DigginThePast said:
Yup, antique single edge razor.

Neat! I wish I had found the handle too.

It could still be there. :D Perhaps not as ornate as the one I posted the photo of though.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Old razor?

DigginThePast said:
SkyPirate said:
DigginThePast said:
Yup, antique single edge razor.

Neat! I wish I had found the handle too.

It could still be there. :D Perhaps not as ornate as the one I posted the photo of though.

Thanks for the ID help!
 
Upvote 0
SkyPirate said:
Found this today. It fell apart when I cleaned some of the dirt out of it. I am thinking some kind of old razor. What do you think?
How old?

I cleaned the dirt off today, it says GEM Safety Razor Pat Dec 27 98.

Here is a little about it:
The Kampfe brothers, who patented the first safety razor in the US, formed a manufacturing company in 1875. They make the "Star" razor. It was the first safety razor made in the United States. The Star Razor's revolutionary design won national and international awards for design and craftsmanship. In 1898, after working for the Kampfe Brothers for 23 years, an employee, Jerry Reichard, leaves to form the Gem Cutlery company, later renamed the Gem Safety Razor Company. Its first product, the Gem Safety Razor, borrows heavily from the Star Razor in design but soon outpaces the Star and becomes one of the world's most famous razor and blades ever made. Reichard, the founder of Gem -- leaves again to form the Yankee company, which is soon renamed the Ever-Ready Company. Ever-Ready and Gem quickly re-merge as the American Safety Razor Company, in 1906. In 1919, they absorb the Star brand as well. The company purchases the PAL blade company in 1953. Philip Morris purchases the company in 1960. Philip Morris purchases Burma-Vita company (makers of Burma-Shave) in 1968. ASR bought the Burma-Shave brand from Philip Morris in 1979, after a management buyout of ASR from Philip Morris in 1976.
UPDATED 9-23
 
Upvote 0
cool find!!!! i found this one 2-3 days ago good luck and keep digging krazyhorses
 

Attachments

  • MVC-100S (2).webp
    MVC-100S (2).webp
    38 KB · Views: 233
Upvote 0
Hey Skypirate, I have the handle to your razor. ;D It's yours if you want it....just send me a PM
 

Attachments

  • 100_4870.webp
    100_4870.webp
    10.2 KB · Views: 226
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom