What's new

Old RCA TV?

aaron7

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 24, 2005
Messages
274
Reaction score
69
Golden Thread
0
Location
Townsend, MA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Not sure if this is where to post this...

Found this old RCA in a basement. Not sure what it is as there don't appear to be any markings.

I've seen a few old TV's before but this thing is HUGE for the tiny screen it has!

Any ideas?

SSPX2650.jpg

SSPX2651.jpg
 
aaron7 said:
Ramitt, I think you're very close. The top of this one looks different but the front is dead on!

As for working? No idea. Going to inspect all the wires and connections before I plug it in and burn the house down!

I restore old tube type appliances and radios. While you are inspecting the wiring and connections, pay real close attention to any large filter and paper capacitors. The filter capacitors will dry out and become open or shorted or leaky electrically with age and not being used. If you feel that the connections are good and you can't find any chemical leakage from the power filter capacitor(s) then see if it will turn on. If it does and you get a loud hum from the speaker, that is 60 cycle(HZ) coming through into the Audio apmplifier stage. This means that the capacitor is leaking electrically. Continued operation will take out the the rectifier tube and the final audio output tube. Of course if all you get is smoke and fire, then unplug it immediately. My most recent restoration is a old Knight Space Spanner regerative shortwave receiver (1957). When I got it, the filter capacitor was dryed out. I built one using modern capacitiors and disguised it to look like and old one. Photos added. Good luck on the power up.
 

Attachments

  • original filter capacitor.webp
    original filter capacitor.webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 391
  • filter capacitor1.webp
    filter capacitor1.webp
    23.4 KB · Views: 393
  • filter capacitor.webp
    filter capacitor.webp
    25.7 KB · Views: 393
Upvote 0
Is that a converter or a blasting cap? :wink: You will never be able to find tubes for it I am guessing. But you could probably turn a buck at an antique shop. Monty
 
Upvote 0
Monty said:
Is that a converter or a blasting cap? :wink: You will never be able to find tubes for it I am guessing. But you could probably turn a buck at an antique shop. Monty

Monty,

Not a blasting cap, but a paper tubed multi-section filter capacitor. I used three modern aluminum electrolytic capacitors of the proper capacitance and voltage levels and built them into a paper tube that contained and end bit, I then filled the tube with hot glue.I have also restored a 1937 Philco all band radio and can still get tubes for most of things that I restore as there are still huge inventories of electron tubes in existence. You just have to find them. HH
 
Upvote 0
Awesome! Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to thoughly inspect it and get it working.

Now, can I use electrolytic capacitors in place of the old paper ones if the specs are the same?
 
Upvote 0
aaron7 said:
Awesome! Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to thoughly inspect it and get it working.

Now, can I use electrolytic capacitors in place of the old paper ones if the specs are the same?

Yes you can, use the same capacity or to within 20% over that capacity at the same voltage or higher. Observe polarity. Replace all that you find. Remember that tubes can light up but still be bad. Tubes are very tough and rarely leak off their vaccum unless they have been abused. Look for whitish discoloration within the glass envelope as this is a sign of leakage. Some rectifier tubes will be hard to tell if they are lighting up. I still have a tube tester, but you will find that they are hard to find as well. I would like to suggest that you do not power up the set until all of these capacitors have been replaced. The CRT (Picture tube) may be bad. this will make a restoration impossible and not worth the time or money, but you never know. I have a CRT tester as well, that is the first thing I would check. I found and used an old RCA 19 dual triode tube when I built my replica 1934 Dorele Regenerative receiver. The tube was what is called NOS, New Old Stock. In other words, it was a new tube manufactured at or was available very near 1934, they cost .50 cents then, but it cost me $6.19. It came in the original box. I can post photos of the radio if you are interested, but I do not wish to get that far off this thread unless some one is interested. PM me if you are. Again, good luck with power up.
 
Upvote 0
Interesting stuff Dick. I always enjoy learning something new.
 
Upvote 0
I was born in 1947 and we did not have a TV until 1953, but I remember going to a Cousins house and they had a TV like that.


Gator-Flea
 
Upvote 0

Similar threads

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom