old ring...ruby? Garnet? .925

Must811

Feb 20, 2006
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Equinox 800, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I managed to get out on a local lake yesterday and spend a few hours with my Excal. I found the usual stuff: clad, pull tabs and bottle tops....and then I got a deep signal. I had to dig a heckuva hole to pull it out and as a matter of fact, had reached the giving up point and was only digging because some people had waded over to chat with me. On my last scoop, out popped a very tarnished, almost corroded ring. Here's a picture of the ring as found and then after I spent some time cleaning (not the clearest pics, but best I can do with an old iphone!). It looks very old, it is stamped .925 and the stone looks great (ruby, maybe garnet??)...will take it to be looked at as soon as I can.

Attachments

• ring060111asis.JPG
    ring060111asis.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 775
  • ring060111clean.JPG
    ring060111clean.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 729
Upvote 0

jyt2017

May 7, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal WOT
Primary Interest:
It amazes me how deep silver rings can be found. Nice catch!!! HH-Joe

AUDuke

Apr 20, 2008
Quartzsite AZ
Detector(s) used
TDI, GB, GM-4, Vaquero, F75, Cibola, Compadre, Stingray, ML Explorer
Rubys are rarely set in silver, probably garnet or glass

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Great find. Cleaned up well. Some body on this forum correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, .925 is platinum, 925 is silver. If there is a . In front of the number it is platinum. Much more valuable.

Aurora64blue

Sep 25, 2009
South Eastern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola, Tiger Shark, Fisher F70, Vibra Probe 580
Search and Recovery said

"as I understand it, .925 is platinum, 925 is silver. If there is a . In front of the number it is platinum. Much more valuable."

S & R - On any of the Platinum jewellry that I have seen in stores or elsewhere, the item will normally be stamped "Plat" and then have a number following the stamp such as "950", or "900".

As far as I know if it only says .925 or 925 then it is normally only Silver. You'd also be able to distinguish it by the weight against a silver ring, as Platinum would be heavier by it's size than silver.

If in doubt however I would take it to a jeweller for a second opinion.

Good Luck, :icon_thumright:

Ralph

Lorrain.

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab GT & Minelab Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must811, that is a beautiful silver ring find! :headbang:

Could you post a clearer photo of it so that we could see more detail...thank you

Lorraine

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice chunk of silver :icon_salut: way to stick in there. I'm guessing garnet as well. Good luck.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Thanks Ralph for the clarification. Platinum is slightly heavier than gold so that would be a dead givaway. Guess I will have to make a point of finding a platinum ring so I can get a good comparison. Now you've gone and done it. I am going to have to go and find one to satisfy my curiosity.

OP
OP
M

Must811

Feb 20, 2006
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Took it in to have it looked at. It is garnet, and very old. The value would be as antique jewelry.

I am breaking down and buying a new iphone with macro capabilities. I'll post new pics when I get it up and running.

OP
OP
M

Must811

Feb 20, 2006
Boca Raton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
new iphone, better pic.......

Attachments

• ring060611.JPG
    ring060611.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 472

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:o WOW!!!! Gorgeous ring!!!! :o Congrats on a beautiful find, you did great!!!! :hello2: Red

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Still abeautiful garnet, and the new phone takes much better pictures.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread