What's new

OLD ROUND BALL FOUND...but how old is it??

Quin

Hero Member
Joined
Oct 28, 2015
Messages
584
Reaction score
611
Golden Thread
0
Location
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

I am new to the site and wanted to get your feedback on an old round ball I found in Northern Michigan. It is very obviously handmade as it has a defined connection line and a nice flat casting sprue.

My only question is, what kind of gun would have used this and how old is it?
 

Attachments

  • Round Ball.webp
    Round Ball.webp
    110.1 KB · Views: 516
Upvote 8
Matchlock/Flintlock type of "musket" or muzzle loader.

Used since the 1600's (worldwide) but yours is probably 1850's or so but could be later as the guns were used after they were outdated.

This is just my take and may not be 100%
 
Given it looks like about .4 inches diameter I would say 40 cal. pistol ball. "I think" muskets were 50 cal. minimum.
 
I'd say it's a pistol ball, we'd need accurate measurements in 100hs of an inch to id the caliber
 
Keep in mind that I (WE) cast 100s of musket balls, round, Mini, etc over the last 50 yrs.
I even set up my son and Guest to cast 36 cal balls for there slingshots--they made ,and shot hundreds all over the place.
Perry
 
Looks about .45 caliber to me, and that is one of the calibers old muzzle loading rifle were originally found in. Others calibers included .58, , .56, .41, .32, all sorts of what would be considered odd-ball calibers today.
 
Looks about .45 caliber to me, and that is one of the calibers old muzzle loading rifle were originally found in. Others calibers included .58, , .56, .41, .32, all sorts of what would be considered odd-ball calibers today.

I am almost certain that it's a .39 caliber. I checked out this link and it sounds like .39 calibers are a pretty common size. How to Identify Revolutionary War Musket Balls | eHow

But what kind of gun were they used with?
 
Its closer to 44 caliber I think.
 
I am almost certain that it's a .39 caliber. I checked out this link and it sounds like .39 calibers are a pretty common size. How to Identify Revolutionary War Musket Balls | eHow
That information is not very accurate. They use musket and rifle interchangeably, they are two totally different types of gun. There is no musket smaller than .69 caliber. If you want more information, you need to measure the ball more accurately to get the exact size to at least .01 of an inch. Even then it may be impossible to say exactly what type of gun it is from. Rifles and pistols often used the exact same size ball. There were rifles as small as .29 caliber up to over .70 caliber, pistols from at least .31 caliber up to .60 or so etc. There was also buckshot of various sizes shot from smoothbore fowling guns. Casting marks aren't necessarily a mark of age, I and many others still cast round balls today leaving the telltale marks. If it has a heavy oxidation it is most likely at least 100 years old or so. Probably the most you will know is it is a muzzleloading round ball most likely rifle or pistol.
 
SWEEEEEET FIND .....
 
Excellent information, thank you very much!
 
found one in the west branch warner river. Bradford, NH

Keep in mind that I (WE) cast 100s of musket balls, round, Mini, etc over the last 50 yrs.
I even set up my son and Guest to cast 36 cal balls for there slingshots--they made ,and shot hundreds all over the place.
Perry

found a 5.8 gram lead ball= .401 = 40 cal.
anyways to find out how old it is????
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom