OLD ROUND BALL FOUND...but how old is it??

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Round Ball.jpg
    Round Ball.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 445
Upvote 4

Ron (CA)

Feb 1, 2005
Mechanicsville VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 , Deus 1 & 2,
Matchlock/Flintlock type of "musket" or muzzle loader.

Used since the 1600's (worldwide) but yours is probably 1850's or so but could be later as the guns were used after they were outdated.

This is just my take and may not be 100%

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given it looks like about .4 inches diameter I would say 40 cal. pistol ball. "I think" muskets were 50 cal. minimum.

perry2

Jan 1, 2013
Bradford, NH
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keep in mind that I (WE) cast 100s of musket balls, round, Mini, etc over the last 50 yrs.
I even set up my son and Guest to cast 36 cal balls for there slingshots--they made ,and shot hundreds all over the place.
Perry

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Looks about .45 caliber to me, and that is one of the calibers old muzzle loading rifle were originally found in. Others calibers included .58, , .56, .41, .32, all sorts of what would be considered odd-ball calibers today.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks about .45 caliber to me, and that is one of the calibers old muzzle loading rifle were originally found in. Others calibers included .58, , .56, .41, .32, all sorts of what would be considered odd-ball calibers today.

I am almost certain that it's a .39 caliber. I checked out this link and it sounds like .39 calibers are a pretty common size. How to Identify Revolutionary War Musket Balls | eHow

But what kind of gun were they used with?

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its closer to 44 caliber I think.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am almost certain that it's a .39 caliber. I checked out this link and it sounds like .39 calibers are a pretty common size. How to Identify Revolutionary War Musket Balls | eHow
That information is not very accurate. They use musket and rifle interchangeably, they are two totally different types of gun. There is no musket smaller than .69 caliber. If you want more information, you need to measure the ball more accurately to get the exact size to at least .01 of an inch. Even then it may be impossible to say exactly what type of gun it is from. Rifles and pistols often used the exact same size ball. There were rifles as small as .29 caliber up to over .70 caliber, pistols from at least .31 caliber up to .60 or so etc. There was also buckshot of various sizes shot from smoothbore fowling guns. Casting marks aren't necessarily a mark of age, I and many others still cast round balls today leaving the telltale marks. If it has a heavy oxidation it is most likely at least 100 years old or so. Probably the most you will know is it is a muzzleloading round ball most likely rifle or pistol.

OP
OP
Q

Quin

Oct 28, 2015
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent information, thank you very much!

JonLocal40

Apr 26, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
found one in the west branch warner river. Bradford, NH

Keep in mind that I (WE) cast 100s of musket balls, round, Mini, etc over the last 50 yrs.
I even set up my son and Guest to cast 36 cal balls for there slingshots--they made ,and shot hundreds all over the place.
Perry

found a 5.8 gram lead ball= .401 = 40 cal.
anyways to find out how old it is????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread