Garrett AT pro pointer

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus, Garrett GTI 2500.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do u mean falsing?

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine is a few years old and if I push it hard into the dirt on it's tip or sides, it falses, so I don't push hard into the dirt and it works fine.

usinadi

Mar 9, 2015
Stilwell, Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350; Garrett AT Gold, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine has done well and i have had it about 4 months. I do know that very tiny pieces of metal can be maddening when they are almost invisible to the naked eye if that is what you mean by falsing.

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usinadi is right, sometimes litlle pieces of foil can give this signals.

Jessie22

Greenie
Aug 12, 2015
South Central PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the same problem with mine and it's about a year old. Really not sure what causes it. Usually I just turn it off and then back on and it seems to reset itself and is ok after that.

OP
OP
B

backlash60

Greenie
Mar 10, 2014
TEXAS CITY TX
Detector(s) used
AT PRO - EQUINOX 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By falsing I mean it will go off and not stop until you turn it off.

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
That happened to me a couple of times. I adjusted the ground balance, and then it didn't happen. Maybe that's what's happening to yours.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be a few things. When the battery starts to get low voltage, it can beep without a target. If you leave it on for several minutes, it will drift frequencies and start to beep. Sometimes ground mineralization will cause it to beep, pressing the button quickly will ground balance/desensitize it.

If those aren't the cause, then it needs to go to Garrett for repair. I noticed your in Texas City, we are within 30 minutes of you if want to come by sometime.

Wayne

Metal Detector Sales Rental | Treasure Hunting | Metal Detecting Stuff

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
By falsing I mean it will go off and not stop until you turn it off.

Check the switch cover, when mine does what yours is doing I just make sure the rubber button cover is seated properly and if that does not fix I change out the battery.

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you say "the NEW AT pro pointer" , are you talking about the Garrett Carrot? ? Or are you talking about the older style Black pointer.
With the older black model,, as was mentioned, 2 culprits that can cause "falsing" ,, low battery , or rubber switch cover not seated properly. Hunting with this style pointer in muddy conditions can also cause the unit to act erratically when mud gets transferred from your gloves to up under the switch cover.

SirWalterRaleigh

Jul 29, 2015
Raleigh, North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett pinpointer
Lesche 85 and Sampson t-handle 31"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the old black pin pointer and I have experienced all of these falsings haha ... Especially if I press it into the ground too hard. As loco digger says I've learned not to do that anymore.

And as mentioned always check the battery. Mine will go crazy when the battery starts to die and that's when I know I need to change it.

If you have the old black one and you want to waterproof it just stick it in a Ziploc bag

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I found that both black and orange false when pressed too hard into the soil.

Solution: Quit pressing the thing into the bottom of the hole so hard... dig more dirt out of the hole.

I have heard that the PI pin pointer does not false from pressure.

JamesR1964

Jul 11, 2015
Eastern Long Island NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Radio shack special, Bounty Hunter 505, Whites Treasure Master, Garret Carrot pro pointer. Whites V3i added 11/3/15Whites Surf Dual Field PI added 5/5/16 - 2/17 Etrac added 11/16 Whites Beach Hunter 3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine starting doing that when I would turn it on. It was less then a month old. It worked fine the first couple of weeks. I replaced the battery. Turn it on and it would just start going off. I sent it back to Garret and they replaced it. I guess it was a freak thing. The replacement has worked awesome the past couple of months with no issues.

vince76

Bronze Member
Oct 2, 2015
Macedonia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok backflash, i had the exact prob with mine after one month. I contacted the seller and he sent me another. Before sending it back i used it for other two days. I used to push the button three times and than it was ok. Although, send it back.

Johncoho

Silver Member
Feb 14, 2014
Martinsburg, Pa. in the summer and Apache Junction
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT, Garrett AT Pro, Macro pinpointer, Garrett carrot pinpointer,
Lesch digger, Nel Tornado coil for ATPro, Garret ATMax with Nel Tornado coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had the same thing happen with my Macro pinpointer. If I press it too hard in the dirt it gives a false metal signal, so I just don't press it in that hard. Mine will also drive you crazy if there is a tiny piece of metal that you can hardly see. I think the problems are common to most pinointers and are really nothing to worry about. Good luck with it.

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mine has "falsed" several times, however, one time I ended up finding a half dime, it took me 15 min to find it. I almost gave up, because I thought my pin pointer was "falsing" but my detector was insisting that I had something in my dirt pile! Good thing I didn't give up.....

shoague

Dec 29, 2014
Frederick, MD
Detector(s) used
Garrett Pro AT, Garrett Propointer+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
aqua-chigger did a video on this a while ago and it really explained everything.. When I use my carrot I ground balance it before I use it. It works great afterword.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread