Old school and hall

Rossiter25

Jul 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-4137599770.jpg

image-755325345.jpg

Hitting old school from 1870s and a hall tomorrow. Took one month to track down owner he knows my dad and amazingly I got an ok cant sleep right now to anxious. Virgin ground never hunted. It's giving me chills.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

...... Virgin ground never hunted.....

Rossiter, how do you know it's virgin grounds that have never been hunted? Is it because that's what the current owner tells you?

If there's any hunters in your area, worth their salt, it's probably been hunted before. Many times, in my 35+ yrs of this, I've heard people say "it's never been hunted before". Yet I know, for a fact the places have been. It's usually a case of the current owner not knowing (because perhaps it was hit before he owned it). Or it was hit, and he just doesn't know. Like perhaps someone else (his wife, his son, a ranchworker who felt he had say-so to let his buddy, etc...) gave permission in the past. Or .. quite frankly ....... sometimes people just do it (like if it's not fenced, and sitting right on the side of the road).

I even had the following humerous thing happen: When I first started in the mid 1970s, I worked the yard of an old home with my first detector (a 66TR). An elderly man had answered the door, and gave me permission. I recall getting a few wheaties, clad, and maybe a silver or two.

Then a few years later, when I got my first discriminator (a Groundhog), I was wanting to try it out at a zone where I knew I'd given a thorough going over with my 66tr. So I decided to try that same yard again. This time, when I knocked on the door, an elderly women answered the door. And as she said "yes", she added ".... and it's never been detected before". I didn't bother correcting her. (I assume the elderly man, from a few years earlier, had been her husband). I got a few more wheaties and silver.

Then flash forward to the mid 1980s, and I had the latest greatest motion discriminator, and wanted to put it through its paces at a place where I figure I'd pounded in the past, for comparison sakes. So again, I went to that SAME yard, and knocked on the door. This time, a middle age couple answered the door. They explained that the home was their parents, who had moved on to an assisted living care place or something. But they said they're sure it's ok, so to help myself. And as they wished me luck, they added: " ... and no one's ever detected it before". Doh! I got a last buffalo nickel, and a token :)

So you see, in each case, each person would swear that they know, for sure, their info. Why? Because in their mind, they're certain that even if someone else had given the ok, then *certainly* THEY would have heard about it. Doh!

Last edited:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom is right and what he means is to not get sick by getting your hopes up to high. Everyone wants to hunt "virgin" ground, but face it, someone could have been there since detectors were invented. The newer ones aren't that much improved nor deeper than those we used. You can hope that if someone detected there they were sloppy in their coil control and swings like a pendulum. But good luck and hope you enjoy yourself. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Rossiter25

Rossiter25

Jul 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Rossiter, how do you know it's virgin grounds that have never been hunted? Is it because that's what the current owner tells you?

If there's any hunters in your area, worth their salt, it's probably been hunted before. Many times, in my 35+ yrs of this, I've heard people say "it's never been hunted before". Yet I know, for a fact the places have been. It's usually a case of the current owner not knowing (because perhaps it was hit before he owned it). Or it was hit, and he just doesn't know. Like perhaps someone else (his wife, his son, a ranchworker who felt he had say-so to let his buddy, etc...) gave permission in the past. Or .. quite frankly ....... sometimes people just do it (like if it's not fenced, and sitting right on the side of the road).

I even had the following humerous thing happen: When I first started in the mid 1970s, I worked the yard of an old home with my first detector (a 66TR). An elderly man had answered the door, and gave me permission. I recall getting a few wheaties, clad, and maybe a silver or two.

Then a few years later, when I got my first discriminator (a Groundhog), I was wanting to try it out at a zone where I knew I'd given a thorough going over with my 66tr. So I decided to try that same yard again. This time, when I knocked on the door, an elderly women answered the door. And as she said "yes", she added ".... and it's never been detected before". I didn't bother correcting her. (I assume the elderly man, from a few years earlier, had been her husband). I got a few more wheaties and silver.

Then flash forward to the mid 1980s, and I had the latest greatest motion discriminator, and wanted to put it through its paces at a place where I figure I'd pounded in the past, for comparison sakes. So again, I went to that SAME yard, and knocked on the door. This time, a middle age couple answered the door. They explained that the home was their parents, who had moved on to an assisted living care place or something. But they said they're sure it's ok, so to help myself. And as they wished me luck, they added: " ... and no one's ever detected it before". Doh! I got a last buffalo nickel, and a token :)

So you see, in each case, each person would swear that they know, for sure, their info. Why? Because in their mind, they're certain that even if someone else had given the ok, then *certainly* THEY would have heard about it. Doh!

image-4118251811.jpg

image-239156177.jpg

image-3138289356.jpg

image-3623973051.jpg

image-120783355.jpg

Not to bad for a 1.5 hour hunt with 2 acres left ,2 buffalo 1935 1936, 1rosie, 2 mercs ,1 coal token, 1 miner tag, 10k ring must be white gold, church pendant, 1war nickel, and a glove. I hope those "old" detectors could register these items in the 3" to 6" range. Merc was 2 inches deep!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Rossi____ Nice Finds!

Hey I got one of them Catcher's Mitts :thumbsup:

& the half a lovers charm

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Well then if it WAS hit in the past, they certainly weren't too thorough! If I were you, I'd scrub the place some more :) The age of the place could lend itself to some barbers and seateds hiding there :)

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 697090

View attachment 697091

View attachment 697092

View attachment 697093

View attachment 697095

Not to bad for a 1.5 hour hunt with 2 acres left ,2 buffalo 1935 1936, 1rosie, 2 mercs ,1 coal token, 1 miner tag, 10k ring must be white gold, church pendant, 1war nickel, and a glove. I hope those "old" detectors could register these items in the 3" to 6" range. Merc was 2 inches deep!
Those old coal tags are fun to find as I have foind many in the old mining towns we hunt....That school looks very familiar to me....Dont worry I wont hi-jack your site or tell any1!

Last edited:

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You just keep huntin son,grid when you can,and grid again,there's always something you miss,some right nice finds there,REAL nice! God Bless Chris

OP
OP
Rossiter25

Rossiter25

Jul 2, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in pa. I'm using the 6x10 coil everything at around 5to 6 inches is iffy. If sometimes I can even catch it. Especially with the emi . I got one of them emi filters I posted on another different thread. If I have to I'll put 50 of them down the whole line. I can't wait to get a couple extra bucks to get the 10" dd. I was a coal miner for 5 years. Now laid off because of one person that wants cleaner air for America.

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
Nice finds there Rossiter. I would see if the owner would let you clear out some of the scrub near the school. Now that you know interesting finds have been made, slow down and take your time. There is bound to be more just waiting for you.

wetfly

Aug 8, 2012
I like to approach every new area i hit like its "never ever" been touched by anyone with a detector!! Either way it's gonna be "new" to you right so knock the bottom outta that puppy!! Personally , it tends to keep me positive and thorough, throughout the entire hunt! ... But that's just me!! Awesome finds man thanks for sharing!! Good luck!

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread