What's new

Old Silver Buckle?

testing123

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,986
Golden Thread
0
Location
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Found this today. There are no markings on it, but my home testing kit indicates it is silver (Sterling I believe). Measures about 1 inch wide by 1 1/4 inch tall. Any idea if it's some kind of buckle? I'm not quite sure how the center hole functioned... Age?

Thanks for your help!

(edited to make images smaller)
 

Attachments

  • possible Silver buckle smaller.webp
    possible Silver buckle smaller.webp
    42.6 KB · Views: 501
  • possible Silver buckle smaller 2.webp
    possible Silver buckle smaller 2.webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 495
  • possible Silver buckle smaller 3.webp
    possible Silver buckle smaller 3.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 499
testing123 said:
Found this today. There are no markings on it, but my home testing kit indicates it is silver (Sterling I believe). Measures about 1 inch wide by 1 1/4 inch tall. Any idea if it's some kind of buckle? I'm not quite sure how the center hole functioned... Age?

Thanks for your help!

(edited to make images smaller)
welcome to the t'net :hello:
 
Upvote 0
Its part of a two piece, most likely ladies, buckle. It works similar to the tongue and wreath type CW buckle.
 
Upvote 0
72cheyenne said:
Its part of a two piece, most likely ladies, buckle. It works similar to the tongue and wreath type CW buckle.
Yes a 2 piece buckle but not military. Your missing the round inside half of the buckle.
 

Attachments

  • buckle CS.webp
    buckle CS.webp
    26.3 KB · Views: 449
Upvote 0
72cheyenne said:
Its part of a two piece, most likely ladies, buckle. It works similar to the tongue and wreath type CW buckle.

Yep. Probably the same vintage (mid 1800s), and it could be a mens buckle as well, although at that size it is likely ladies as cheyenne said. Quite a lovely piece there--a fantastic find. Now go and find the tongue portion of it. :thumbsup:


Best Wishes,


Buckleboy
 
Upvote 0
I believe this is a late 19th C nurses buckle or matron type.
 
Upvote 0
I think it is a knee buckle that once belonged to Bobby Chaptoe. "Bobby Chaptoe's gone to sea, Silver buckles on his knee, He'll come back and marry me,,,,,,,,etc, etc, etc." Monty
 
Upvote 0
72cheyenne said:
Its part of a two piece, most likely ladies, buckle. It works similar to the tongue and wreath type CW buckle.
YEP!As said we find them in camps quite often though where there were no women so one is led to beleive men wore them as well.I would bet yours is "Feminine",though.
 
Upvote 0
4-H said:
Yes, nice buckle half. The other half can't be too far away

Actually, usually the other half is seldom found. I always hunt for them, but they seldom turn up for anyone. I got lucky with a sword belt plate and keeper in finding them both the same hunt last year, but the odds are against it by far.


Worth hunting for though. :)
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
4-H said:
Yes, nice buckle half. The other half can't be too far away

Actually, usually the other half is seldom found. I always hunt for them, but they seldom turn up for anyone. I got lucky with a sword belt plate and keeper in finding them both the same hunt last year, but the odds are against it by far.


Worth hunting for though. :)
Buckles....I have to disagree,The other half is often found(as you know that type of buckle is all I search for)There are times it is not and that is frustrating,but they are found.If they were not I or my freinds would have no complete buckles.
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
BuckleBoy said:
4-H said:
Yes, nice buckle half. The other half can't be too far away

Actually, usually the other half is seldom found. I always hunt for them, but they seldom turn up for anyone. I got lucky with a sword belt plate and keeper in finding them both the same hunt last year, but the odds are against it by far.


Worth hunting for though. :)
Buckles....I have to disagree,The other half is often found(as you know that type of buckle is all I search for)There are times it is not and that is frustrating,but they are found.If they were not I or my freinds would have no complete buckles.

Maybe that style is different from CW military buckles. :icon_scratch: Seems like few of that type few pieces are ever found. Do you think that this is due to the type of attachment on the buckle, or perhaps a difference in the type of material the belts/sashes were made from?
 
Upvote 0
Hello Buckles, first although the are reffered to as "Sash",buckles,that is false.I challenge anybody to sho one period picture of on worn on a Sash.We have countless Dags of them on belts.I myself have found remnants of rubber cloth on buckles and recently a Tongue and Wreath was found with remnants of leather proving my point.Second I can not speak for C.W buckles but I have posted just a few COMPLETE buckles in the past.Understand just because we are not posting them doesnt mean they are not being found :wink:
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
Hello Buckles, first although the are reffered to as "Sash",buckles,that is false.I challenge anybody to sho one period picture of on worn on a Sash.We have countless Dags of them on belts.I myself have found remnants of rubber cloth on buckles and recently a Tongue and Wreath was found with remnants of leather proving my point.Second I can not speak for C.W buckles but I have posted just a few COMPLETE buckles in the past.Understand just because we are not posting them doesnt mean they are not being found :wink:

I understand that. :) Just trying to think of why the whole belt would've been lost with those types of buckles, but not a CW thick brass two piece or similar (or even sword belt plates and keepers).

You just must live in a good area I guess--where they threw out the other half on the spot after the first piece broke.
 
Upvote 0
BuckleBoy said:
kuger said:
Hello Buckles, first although the are reffered to as "Sash",buckles,that is false.I challenge anybody to sho one period picture of on worn on a Sash.We have countless Dags of them on belts.I myself have found remnants of rubber cloth on buckles and recently a Tongue and Wreath was found with remnants of leather proving my point.Second I can not speak for C.W buckles but I have posted just a few COMPLETE buckles in the past.Understand just because we are not posting them doesnt mean they are not being found :wink:

I understand that. :) Just trying to think of why the whole belt would've been lost with those types of buckles, but not a CW thick brass two piece or similar (or even sword belt plates and keepers).

You just must live in a good area I guess--where they threw out the other half on the spot after the first piece broke. Here are just a couple examples
If one side broke(which they were prone to)the whole thing was worthless and probably discarded.It is a mystery as to why we have found complete (several in some places)sets that were not broken.We have also found the wreath portions of the cast type that were obviosly used for other tasks than as a belt buckle,whether or not the buckle was broke before is anybodys guess.
 

Attachments

  • buckles 3.webp
    buckles 3.webp
    24.3 KB · Views: 292
  • buckles2.webp
    buckles2.webp
    8.8 KB · Views: 298
  • buckles1.webp
    buckles1.webp
    9 KB · Views: 289
Upvote 0
Do you think they were discarded for vanity reasons? (i.e.--the discarded ones were out of style?)
 
Upvote 0
They were "THE",style from about 1848 into the late 1850's,everybody wore one.Given the scarcity of goods and the numbers we find I doubt they were just pitched cause they were not the style any longer.We find them in the remote camps many miles from where we know they were made.Thats what I love about them,there are a lot of questions about them and I am good freinds with the top authorities and collectors of them.
 
Upvote 0
it's a 2 p1ece buckle , early to mid 1900's
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom