What's new

Old Silver Buckle?

testing123

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,986
Golden Thread
0
Location
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Found this today. There are no markings on it, but my home testing kit indicates it is silver (Sterling I believe). Measures about 1 inch wide by 1 1/4 inch tall. Any idea if it's some kind of buckle? I'm not quite sure how the center hole functioned... Age?

Thanks for your help!

(edited to make images smaller)
 

Attachments

  • possible Silver buckle smaller.webp
    possible Silver buckle smaller.webp
    42.6 KB · Views: 501
  • possible Silver buckle smaller 2.webp
    possible Silver buckle smaller 2.webp
    19.9 KB · Views: 495
  • possible Silver buckle smaller 3.webp
    possible Silver buckle smaller 3.webp
    17.4 KB · Views: 499
Scottso said:
it's a 2 p1ece buckle , early to mid 1900's
Where do you get that info?I do not disagree what it is, however your dates I question?
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
Scottso said:
it's a 2 p1ece buckle , early to mid 1900's
Where do you get that info?I do not disagree what it is, however your dates I question?
Scottso in 11 years old.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks BCH.Well young man,as said you are correct in that it is part of a two piece buckle or Tongue and Wreath.This type of buckle was used from the early 1800's,largely military, and gained great popularity during the California Gold Rush by civilians .There were buckles that were made just for the G.R.,manufactured in New York,then in San Francisco.There were also examples from the gold fields of Australia and that countries Gold Rush. The style seemed to fade in the civilian sector toward the late 1800's,and as the Civil War began they were issued to military personel.Examples have been found on the battlefields that could be traced back to the Calif.Gold rush presumably worn by a soldier that had been to Calif.to search his fortune then went to fight the cause.Tongue and Wreath buckles were also used by the Japanese during WW2.After that there use and manufacture was scarce.There is a lot still to be learned about them and there origins and for that reason I am open to any further evidence of anything different,and why they are my scope of all my metal detecting.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom