What's new

Old Site + Turned Soil = New Finds!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2010
Messages
13,017
Reaction score
28,144
Golden Thread
1
Location
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I found this old homestead site late last year by researching 1878 maps of my area. I hunted it last fall for a couple of weeks after the corn came off, but found it a major challenge swinging the coil due to the cornstalks. Not much was found at that time and I just knew this site must have more treasures yet to be found. I've been anxiously waiting for the soil to be turned, so when I drove by yesterday and saw this was done I hit it for 3hrs. :thumbsup:

My first find was made within 5mins and it was an 1864 Indian Head Penny :hello2:, after that the finds came fast a furious! When I got a solid 92 – 93 on the Deus, I just knew it had to be silver. All I could say when I flipped over the plug was… “Please let it be a Vickie”? Unfortunately, it turned out to be her great-grandson, a 1942 Quarter :laughing7:. All I can say is that, “Sometimes the ‘eyeball finds’ turn out to be almost as good as the detector finds” and this was certainly the case yesterday!

Thanks very much for looking,
Dave
 

Attachments

  • 20160509_170131_resized.webp
    20160509_170131_resized.webp
    185.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 20160510_095603_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_095603_resized-crop.webp
    198.9 KB · Views: 200
  • 20160510_101312_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_101312_resized-crop.webp
    82.8 KB · Views: 204
  • 20160510_102215_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_102215_resized-crop.webp
    89.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 20160510_102346_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_102346_resized-crop.webp
    187.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 20160510_103138_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_103138_resized-crop.webp
    192.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 20160510_104449_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_104449_resized-crop.webp
    222.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 20160510_104508_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_104508_resized-crop.webp
    202.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 20160510_105039_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_105039_resized-crop.webp
    151.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 20160510_113623_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_113623_resized-crop.webp
    154.4 KB · Views: 190
  • 20160510_113944_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_113944_resized-crop.webp
    213.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 20160510_114000_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_114000_resized-crop.webp
    172.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 20160510_114500_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_114500_resized-crop.webp
    167.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 20160510_120518_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_120518_resized-crop.webp
    283.9 KB · Views: 198
  • 20160510_160605_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_160605_resized-crop.webp
    170.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 20160510_204725_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_204725_resized-crop.webp
    99.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 20160510_204739_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_204739_resized-crop.webp
    88.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 20160510_204826_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_204826_resized-crop.webp
    124.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 20160510_204847_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_204847_resized-crop.webp
    109.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 20160510_204914_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_204914_resized-crop.webp
    59.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 20160510_204930_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_204930_resized-crop.webp
    67.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 20160510_205132_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_205132_resized-crop.webp
    54.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 20160510_205215_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_205215_resized-crop.webp
    65.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 20160510_205225_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_205225_resized-crop.webp
    55 KB · Views: 190
  • 20160511_054422_resized-crop.webp
    20160511_054422_resized-crop.webp
    71.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 20160511_054318_resized-crop.webp
    20160511_054318_resized-crop.webp
    98.1 KB · Views: 193
Upvote 64
Congrats on some nice finds and post

Thanks very much for your post! :thumbsup:
Dave


Congrats on some nice finds. Personally, I get a lot of satisfaction from finding old sites shown on maps like that - then validating it with the finds. Nice job.
I hear you Tommy! :occasion14:
Once I get onto the site I usually start with a field walk, this way I can see the spread of the pottery and glass.
Dave



Cool ! Amazing the ink bottle is still unbroken in a plowed corn field :occasion14:

I still can't believe it survived as well! :icon_scratch:
I think it must be because it's round, small & thick... just like my dog! :laughing7:
Dave



Nice field you got to hunt = very nice finds you made!
Thank you for your post scruggs! :occasion14:
Best of luck to you,
Dave



You post some beautiful well detailed pictures. Great hunt you had there! It's always amazing to me what cornfields plowed over the years can turn up. The button with the birds on it is really pretty.

I love finding these 'sporting' buttons, actually I love finding any kind of button with a design on it. :thumbsup:
As far as the pics go, if you're going to post 3, it's just as easy to post 13! :laughing7:

Best of luck to you CoilyGirl,
Dave



That's a heck of a nice haul. Beautiful IHC, and I really love the Bank of Upper Canada token. The ink is just icing on the cake.

Thank you for your post David! :thumbsup:
Some people might find not like finding everyday relics like these, but it gives me a better understanding of the folks that lived here 100+ years ago.
Dave



Nice digs Dave. That is a beautiful IP. The stoneware inkwell is a great find as well. Looks like you have at least a couple more chances to hit that spot before it's planted.
Hi Steve! :hello:
Good to see you again my friend, hope you're having a great year so far!

I did get back here again yesterday, the finds weren't quite as plentiful, but interesting just the same.
I'll post this later today,
Dave


Nice hunt. Congrats on all of your cool finds.

You had great instincts on that site and it paid off. It's funny how one day you can get nothing and then go back and kill it at the same exact site.
The ground is always changing and so are we. Sometimes I can do much better when I get into "the zone" and things just begin to appear. Funny how that works.
Thanks very much for your post Garrett! :occasion14:
I hear you about "getting into the zone", this is exactly how I felt on Wednesday.
I only started using my new XP Deus in late March and it's definitely been a challenge to learn it's language! :laughing7:

But getting onto this site and finally digging some interesting keepers, tells me that the Deus is certainly a keeper! :thumbsup:
Dave



Great looking stuff there Dave, your research paid off. Hopefully there's some big fat silvers hanging around there for you!

Thanks very much J.
As you well know, these older homestead sites rarely turn up silvers, as these people were farmers and likely didn't have much money.
So, just finding LC's in any quantity is very gratifying to me! :thumbsup:

Take care buddy,
Dave
 
Wow that's the kind of hunt I like. Congrats on the finds you made. Very nice.
HH!
 
Well done, , your research and perseverance paid off. That IHP is in excellent condition.
Congrats
 
Last edited:
Wow that's the kind of hunt I like. Congrats on the finds you made. Very nice.
HH!
Thanks very much for your post Bill! :occasion14:
Dave



Well done, , your research and perseverance paid off. That IHP is in excellent condition.
Congrats

Thanks AGT, I love finding US coins on old homesteads here in Ontario! :thumbsup:
Just goes to show that we used coins from England, the US and Upper Canada here before the confederation of our country in 1867. :laughing7:

Best of luck to you my friend,
Dave
 
awesome stuff Dave!
 
Productive site and hunt! Well done!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom