What's new

Old Site + Turned Soil = New Finds!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Apr 24, 2010
Messages
13,017
Reaction score
28,144
Golden Thread
1
Location
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I found this old homestead site late last year by researching 1878 maps of my area. I hunted it last fall for a couple of weeks after the corn came off, but found it a major challenge swinging the coil due to the cornstalks. Not much was found at that time and I just knew this site must have more treasures yet to be found. I've been anxiously waiting for the soil to be turned, so when I drove by yesterday and saw this was done I hit it for 3hrs. :thumbsup:

My first find was made within 5mins and it was an 1864 Indian Head Penny :hello2:, after that the finds came fast a furious! When I got a solid 92 – 93 on the Deus, I just knew it had to be silver. All I could say when I flipped over the plug was… “Please let it be a Vickie”? Unfortunately, it turned out to be her great-grandson, a 1942 Quarter :laughing7:. All I can say is that, “Sometimes the ‘eyeball finds’ turn out to be almost as good as the detector finds” and this was certainly the case yesterday!

Thanks very much for looking,
Dave
 

Attachments

  • 20160509_170131_resized.webp
    20160509_170131_resized.webp
    185.2 KB · Views: 228
  • 20160510_095603_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_095603_resized-crop.webp
    198.9 KB · Views: 200
  • 20160510_101312_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_101312_resized-crop.webp
    82.8 KB · Views: 204
  • 20160510_102215_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_102215_resized-crop.webp
    89.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 20160510_102346_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_102346_resized-crop.webp
    187.1 KB · Views: 186
  • 20160510_103138_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_103138_resized-crop.webp
    192.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 20160510_104449_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_104449_resized-crop.webp
    222.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 20160510_104508_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_104508_resized-crop.webp
    202.9 KB · Views: 196
  • 20160510_105039_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_105039_resized-crop.webp
    151.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 20160510_113623_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_113623_resized-crop.webp
    154.4 KB · Views: 190
  • 20160510_113944_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_113944_resized-crop.webp
    213.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 20160510_114000_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_114000_resized-crop.webp
    172.4 KB · Views: 187
  • 20160510_114500_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_114500_resized-crop.webp
    167.9 KB · Views: 185
  • 20160510_120518_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_120518_resized-crop.webp
    283.9 KB · Views: 198
  • 20160510_160605_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_160605_resized-crop.webp
    170.4 KB · Views: 196
  • 20160510_204725_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_204725_resized-crop.webp
    99.4 KB · Views: 185
  • 20160510_204739_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_204739_resized-crop.webp
    88.4 KB · Views: 192
  • 20160510_204826_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_204826_resized-crop.webp
    124.4 KB · Views: 198
  • 20160510_204847_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_204847_resized-crop.webp
    109.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 20160510_204914_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_204914_resized-crop.webp
    59.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 20160510_204930_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_204930_resized-crop.webp
    67.5 KB · Views: 193
  • 20160510_205132_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_205132_resized-crop.webp
    54.9 KB · Views: 192
  • 20160510_205215_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_205215_resized-crop.webp
    65.2 KB · Views: 189
  • 20160510_205225_resized-crop.webp
    20160510_205225_resized-crop.webp
    55 KB · Views: 190
  • 20160511_054422_resized-crop.webp
    20160511_054422_resized-crop.webp
    71.5 KB · Views: 189
  • 20160511_054318_resized-crop.webp
    20160511_054318_resized-crop.webp
    98.1 KB · Views: 193
Upvote 64
Congrats on some nice finds. Personally, I get a lot of satisfaction from finding old sites shown on maps like that - then validating it with the finds. Nice job.
 
Cool ! Amazing the ink bottle is still unbroken in a plowed corn field :occasion14:
 
Nice field you got to hunt = very nice finds you made!
 
You post some beautiful well detailed pictures. Great hunt you had there! It's always amazing to me what cornfields plowed over the years can turn up. The button with the birds on it is really pretty.
 
That's a heck of a nice haul. Beuatiful IHC, and I really love the Bank of Upper Canada token. The ink is just icing on the cake.
 
Nice digs Dave. That is a beautiful IP. The stoneware inkwell is a great find as well. Looks like you have at least a couple more chances to hit that spot before it's planted.
 
Nice hunt. Congrats on all of your cool finds.

You had great instincts on that site and it paid off. It's funny how one day you can get nothing and then go back and kill it at the same exact site.
The ground is always changing and so are we. Sometimes I can do much better when I get into "the zone" and things just begin to appear. Funny how that works.
 
Great looking stuff there Dave, your research paid off. Hopefully there's some big fat silvers hanging around there for you!
 
Wonderful post with some excellent pictures. You did a great job.
 
Congrats on new life at an old spot, that IHP is in great shape!
 
Congrats on the quality and quantity of finds. That was a very productive 3 hours.
 
Great assortment of finds. I always like digging them 1911 coins because they are "godless" coins. The "Dei Gratia" portion was removed temporarily from Canadian coinage in 1911 and led to such a public uproar over the "godless" coins that it was returned to Canadian coinage in the subsequent year.
 
Dave, that is the way I wish my hunts would turn out. I love that inkwell!
 
Very nice! How to you go about obtaining permission to hunt random fields like that? Do you ask neighbours or search tax rolls or is there a better way to find out who owns the property? I've always wondered how to do that.
 
I actually like the Canadian cent as much as the ink.

Great day. Wd.

Oh that ink may just squeak into a Banner IMO.
 
Glad to see you back David! And what a come back it is... that's a really nice set of finds. Congrats on finding such a variety.

That IHC is just spectacular.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom