Old Spur Found!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PeteyGirl is selling her place in Marana. I am down there helping clean up the yard. Four acres worth! I found this Spur!
spur2.JPG
I thought it was just a piece of fence hardware as it was buried to the dirt line you see.

I cleaned it up some and could not find any identifying marks on it.
spur1.JPG

I found a UK site that was selling the same make. They called it rare and made in the 1800s. Can anyone give me more info? Tnx.

It is iron and appears to have possibly silver plate (very little) ╦╦C

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped to do my business in Wyoming once up around Thermopolis and found an old spur along the side of the road. It was made and stamped by a guy I think his name was Art Baum if I recall from Wickenburg, AZ. I put it up on Ebay and some fella in Australia bought it.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I stopped to do my business in Wyoming once up around Thermopolis and found an old spur along the side of the road. It was made and stamped by a guy I think his name was Art Baum if I recall from Wickenburg, AZ. I put it up on Ebay and some fella in Australia bought it.

This one will go on the wall! ╦╦C

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one will go on the wall! ╦╦C
Yeah should've, would've could've is all I can say about keeping the one I found. I don't know a whole bunch about old spurs, but I might say that one you have is a Mexican style. To bad BosnMate ain't around anymore. I bet he'd tell you all about that old spur.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah should've, would've could've is all I can say about keeping the one I found. I don't know a whole bunch about old spurs, but I might say that one you have is a Mexican style. To bad BosnMate ain't around anymore. I bet he'd tell you all about that old spur.

Funny you should mention Bosnmate.... the spur on the UK site has an ANCHOR stamped on it! Still, very collectible, just the same. ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found some info! Cisco's Rare and Exceptional of Coeur d'alene, ID, is selling a pair of these exact spur(s) for $450. They are from the 1880s They are Eureka brand spurs. Sounds like USA made. ╦╦C

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry ... great score... I believe you found what they call a "Tin belly".

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! that's a neat find. A wall hanger for sure. Nice going.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did more checking. Using the pic that AARC displayed, I can say...... it is a double button August Buermann Eureka cowboy spur. Thanks for the help, AARC/guys. ╦╦C

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man those were some aggressive spurs meant for some rank stock.

In my historical reading, I found that many times good horses were in short supply.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, my daughter does leather work to partially pay for college. Let me know if your interested in some exceptional tooled leather for that spur..Might look really neat.
PM me if your interested in seeing what she can do.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, my daughter does leather work to partially pay for college. Let me know if your interested in some exceptional tooled leather for that spur..Might look really neat.
PM me if your interested in seeing what she can do.

I also do leather work but will gladly contribute to the college cause! A PM will be on the way shortly! ╦╦C

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if your capable, you will likely get more satisfaction from crafting it yourself.
I’m always looking for places I can promote her work.

Craft that spur strap yourself and share the results with us!
Maybe you can find some vintage pictures to use as a template?

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well if your capable, you will likely get more satisfaction from crafting it yourself.
I’m always looking for places I can promote her work.

Craft that spur strap yourself and share the results with us!
Maybe you can find some vintage pictures to use as a template?

No. Your daughter will do it! Enough said.

I sent the PM ╦╦C

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread