• MVC-jp006S.jpg
    MVC-jp006S.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 709

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
if it was it would be shorter because of the limited swing space on a trail no this was used in martial arts or battle and like I said not calvery as it would have been curvier---(is that a word?)

Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
=bill gentif it was it would be shorter because of the limited swing space on a trail no this was used in martial arts or battle and like I said not calvery as it would have been curvier---(is that a word?)

HI Bill, the machete that I used on my Quintana Roo / Yucatan expeditions was approx 26" long with a blade width of 2". I agree, this was not made for trail cutting, but combat. From experiences in old China, I favor them as the originator of it, reminiscent of their styling. Besides there is no need for a hilt or hand guard in cutting trail.

As for the "curvier" remark, that obviously fits our Michelle perfectly.

Tropical Tramp

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Re-focusing back to the sword and not on the upcoming swimsuit contest... hehehe... I still think this is Chinese... the following text accompanies the photo I found that closely matches the posted picture.

29" blade, 39" overall
"The heavier than average blade of classic Ox Tail form with hardened edge with two fullers running near the entire blade length. The hilt with heavy iron fittings & with a wood grip with the character "yuan" (speech) carved in one side. The blade clean & in excellent condition. The wire wrapped scabbard in poor condition, missing all but its chape fitting.
Contrary to the popular image of Niuweidao promoted by the movie industry, these sabers were never the standard side arm of men at arms. The Niuweidao is a saber design wholly of native Chinese origin that created for & used by civilian swordsmen. As such, there tends to be more variation in Niuweidao blade forms than other types."

Notice the size/shape similarities in both sword and scabbard...

Attachments

• swords.JPG
    swords.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 393
Upvote 0

Zobex

Jun 27, 2006
Montana Jim said:
Re-focusing back to the sword and not on the upcoming swimsuit contest... hehehe... I still think this is Chinese... the following text accompanies the photo I found that closely matches the posted picture.

29" blade, 39" overall
"The heavier than average blade of classic Ox Tail form with hardened edge with two fullers running near the entire blade length. The hilt with heavy iron fittings & with a wood grip with the character "yuan" (speech) carved in one side. The blade clean & in excellent condition. The wire wrapped scabbard in poor condition, missing all but its chape fitting.
Contrary to the popular image of Niuweidao promoted by the movie industry, these sabers were never the standard side arm of men at arms. The Niuweidao is a saber design wholly of native Chinese origin that created for & used by civilian swordsmen. As such, there tends to be more variation in Niuweidao blade forms than other types."

Notice the size/shape similarities in both sword and scabbard...

As much as I would prefer to see the girls, I am holding out for it being east Malaysian trader. Malaysian traders were strongly influenced by Chinese traders because of co-mingling with Chinese traders in the area, South China Sea Malacca Straits and including to the Indonesia's Gelasa Straits. The pommel of the handle is more Malaysian than china and so for the tip which it an up turned point tip where as the Chinese's has a somewhat down turn on the tip. Also where the blade joins the guard, that is too small for a rural land owner or land dweller blade.

This is typical of 1900 to 1920's blade found with sea traders from Saba Borneo across to Mindanao. Sometimes for tourist trade in the early 20th century. The string loop you run your hand through and then grasp the grip. In case you loose grip and drop it, it's not lost and you can re-grip it in a fight.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions