✅ SOLVED Old tabletop : What kind of wood?

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I picked these up at a storage auction a few years ago. Didn't know what to do with them, but before I burn them I want to make sure that this wood isn't something special. But there's not a market for them.
They originally had cast iron bases. The wood has a red tint and the grain looks stringy when it splits.
Any thoughts?
20190521_161255.jpg 20190521_161328.jpg 20190521_161511.jpg 20190521_161443.jpg

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like maybe cherry?

Upvote 0

Plug N Play

Bronze Member
Aug 23, 2014
California
Detector(s) used
De Havilland Canada DHC-7-102 Dash 7 - Fugro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first thought, and hunch, ... mahogany.
It was used commonly in its day ... even used to make pallets.

african-mahogany.jpg

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What you have there is walnut. I have planed hundreds of board feet and I am sure that what you have is walnut, and some very nice and clear walnut.

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with 'old digger'. :thumbsup:
Considering you're in 'The East', my first thought was possibly Black Walnut, which would make it quite valuable.

Color/Appearance: Heartwood can range from a lighter pale brown to a dark chocolate brown with darker brown streaks. Color can sometimes have a grey, purple, or reddish cast. Sapwood is pale yellow gray to nearly white. Figured grain patterns such as curl, crotch, and burl are also seen.

Grain/Texture: Grain is usually straight but can be irregular. Has a medium texture and moderate natural luster.

End grain: Semi-ring-porous; large early-wood pores grading to medium late-wood pores, few; solitary and radial multiples of 2-3; tyloses occasionally to abundantly present; growth rings distinct; medium rays barely visible without lens, normal spacing; parenchyma diffuse-in-aggregates (sometimes very faint and barely visible even with lens) and banded (marginal).

Rot Resistance: Black Walnut is rated as very durable in terms of decay resistance, though it is susceptible to insect attack.

Workability: Typically, easy to work provided the grain is straight and regular. Planer tear out can sometimes be a problem when surfacing pieces with irregular or figured grain. Glues, stains, and finishes well, (though walnut is rarely stained). Responds well to steam bending.

Odor: Black Walnut has a faint, mild odor when being worked.

Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
ToastedWheatie

ToastedWheatie

Jun 30, 2013
Hudson Valley, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Infinium
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
After your comments, I was motivated to load a couple of pieces into the truck and I found a higher end wood working shop nearby.

The close up pic of table bottom was from the square tables. Turns out to be oak laminate. Pressed board inside.
The oval tables (close up of split) is 1 1/2" mahogany.
The shop was more than helpful, and planed the top side for me. Gorgeous wood.
Now I to figure out what to do with these seven pieces.
At least I can burn the ten laminate pieces and free up some space.
Thanks for the help!
20190522_115809.jpg 20190522_115819.jpg

Upvote 0

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
They would just about put us in jail for burning Laminate here in the nanny state of California.
Can't burn any dimensioned lumber or cardboard either.

Upvote 0

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you dont want the wood, donate to a wood worker! Many if not all would love to have some big pieces of mahagony for projects.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread