Old Yale/Y&T lock

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Attachments

• 20190904_200428.jpg
    20190904_200428.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 263
  • 20190904_200406.jpg
    20190904_200406.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 24
Contact the lock museum. They can help you identify it, and they might be able to photo copy a page from the Yale catalog. They might also give you clues to what the key would have looked like. Try to get it working again!

Fun locks to restore! There's two pins in the side that need to be driven out to access the cylinder etc. The tumblers are a larger diameter so you may need to fabricate some from brazing rod if you key it to a found / bought blank. You can still buy the blanks, but they just don't look right. Do a search for "push key" to get drawings etc. I've had good results hanging them in my ultra sonic cleaner full of WD-40. Replace the pins after re-assembly and use some liver of sulphur to restore the patina.

My guess would be turn of the century, but I actually have no clue. Very nice recovery. I found a Wal-co pad lock the other day and it looks to be made of either zinc or pot metal, weird.

Contact the lock museum. They can help you identify it, and they might be able to photo copy a page from the Yale catalog. They might also give you clues to what the key would have looked like. Try to get it working again!
That's a great idea; thanks! I found a lock museum on line. I will have to take some better photos and submit them. Just a matter of finding the time, as I am busy with work, home, family, and, of course, digging!

Fun locks to restore! There's two pins in the side that need to be driven out to access the cylinder etc. The tumblers are a larger diameter so you may need to fabricate some from brazing rod if you key it to a found / bought blank. You can ......
I wish I was smart enough to do all that, as it would be nice to restore this item and maybe get it working somehow. Thanks for the tips .. maybe someday I will work up the courage to tinker with the lock.

I wish I was smart enough to do all that, as it would be nice to restore this item and maybe get it working somehow. Thanks for the tips .. maybe someday I will work up the courage to tinker with the lock.
DON'T sell yourself short! The hardest thing is locating the pins on the side of the lock. Using liver of sulphur to get the patina to look right just takes a couple of tries till you get it where you want it. OH! btw when working with the liver of sulphur, do it outside. The wife & other occupants of the house will appreciate it. My grandfather (locksmith) gave me some when I was young (8yrs old) and the only instructions were, "Fix em and make keys for em. Let me know when you're done......" So, I know you can do it!

How old it is? Usually, these locks are often made by skilled locksmiths in the past and possess a level of craftsmanship and artistry that is hard to find in today's mass-produced locks. Locksmith Castelnau, who has experience working with antique locks, can attest to their value as not only functional pieces but also as decorative items.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back