Oldcoin

Old coin

Greenie
Jan 15, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First time posting, been lurking for close to 2 yrs and CRH off and on for 30 yrs, but thought that you all might enjoy this, as this is a first for me. Went on a road trip and found a small town with 2 banks, stopped at first bank and purchased some halves and dimes, went to bank down the street and entered, only one tellerwaiting on another customer, seen a display across from the teller and looked at it while waiting, other customer left, I asked the teller if she had any half dollars, she replied "no", I asked for dimes and she replied that they had none to spare, I said that is fine, then I asked about the display I had seen, which had some abe lincoln pennies and 4, what looked like, silver rounds in it. I had noticed the price on the rounds at $21.95, I asked if they were silver rounds and she replied yes. There was a sign on the top of the display that said 75% off, I asked if the price on the rounds were with the 75% off already, she said no, that would be 75% off the $21.95, I asked her what that would make the price (I fiqured a little over $5.00), she grabbed a calculator and said$5.50 each, I said I would take them all, and paid her the $22.00 She required, I left not being able to imagine that I had just bought 4 troy oz, 999 fine pure silver for $5.50 an oz, so as I said the economy must be tough and watch out for bank discounts, a FIRST FOR ME, :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Upvote 0
Way to go!!!!. That was some "promotion" the bank was putting on.
Glad you scored it! Welcome aboard the forum
rileyboy

Now that is a true teller bank score!

Congrats!

apush :read2:

Welcome to the forum and great score! :icon_thumleft: Thanks for sharing. MM2

Thanks all for the comments, I think the bank was just trying to get rid of some old stock they had, as these were not mint issued rounds, they depicted holiday and other occasion themes, which I found odd for a bank to handle, the one had a date of 1998, so I think they had had them for quite a while, one of the rounds we think is a round, possibly, of a precious moments fiqure signed by the qreator of precious moments fiqurines, which my wife collects and has a collectors guide for, they do not list this in there book, so am going to have to do some research on it, could be worth way more as a precous moments collectable than even the silver, but still couldn't believe a bank would sell $28.00 rounds for $5.50 each, I'll take 75% of at a bank anytime, may go back and see if I can borrow some money and see if I can pay back 75% less than I borrowed, HA HA!!!!!!

This post has got my gears turning ever since reading it. I remembered seeing a small sign for American Silver Eagles at a CU on my way home from work one time. I decided to stop today just in case they were selling the ASE's for a discount. Well...

They were charging $79.99 each for 2010 ASE's! I told the teller no thanks and left.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back