Older 8 coin spill

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Hit a "hunted out park" after work this evening. I was working an area that has been run over many times by detectorists. I ran into a really weird signal. It was high, low and blanking out with iron. Pinpointing didn't seem to help, so I decided to dig. The first thing I saw when I pulled out the plug was a rusty nail. I decided to probe it anyway, and there was good noise everywhere. About 10 minutes later, I pulled the last coin. 8 coins in total. Oldest to Newest: 1934d Merc, 1937, 1941, 1946 Nickel, 1950, 1951, 1956 and 1959d(memorial). Unlabeled coins were wheats. 25 year spread. Largest number of older coins I have found in a spill. The spoon was found nearby, and is silverplate from a company called "Imperial".
Happy Hunting,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com

Attachments

• metaldetecting352008.jpg
    metaldetecting352008.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 906
Upvote 0
Excellent find. All that in one Plug?

10 minutes at the park or 10 minutes pulling out coins?
My turn , I'm off in 10 minutes...

My writing is often confusing. Sorry. I was at the park for about 45 minutes. The coins were all in the same hole. I did cut it out a little bigger than it started to get them all. Nickel was the deepest at about 7". Total recovery time on the spill was 10 minutes(give or take).
Jon.

Real nice spill find!

Real nice spill find. Good Luck and Take Care.

Awesome pocket spill find!!! Congrats to you.
-MM-

Those little pocket spills can wear you out sometimes! I hit one a couple of months ago and thought I'd never get them all pulled up. It's like doing aerobics! Swing, swing........dig, dig.....swing, swing.....dig dig! Whew! I found 1.74 in mine. All clad though, but it was still fun! Congrats on the Merc!

HH,
Moon

Thanks for all the comments. A few months ago, I found a clad spill(cache?) that had 8 quarters and 6 dimes in it. When I dug out the plug, they were all in the removed dirt. When I found the stash, they were stacked on top of each other. I have to think they were placed in the ground.
I was inspired to return to that park, b/c I met a guy who found 2 Barber halves and a Barber quarter in the same plug at the location in December. That would be nice......
Jon Dickinson.

Totally worth 45 minutes of my time...
Keep on finding the one plug treasures...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back