What's new

Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today-UPDATE- Site Totals

pointdlr

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
414
Reaction score
78
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cincinnati, Ohio
- I was thinking about the site all night, and had to go back this morning. I took fellow t-netter Lostlake over to it. He found a silver quarter-1957. I scored some more wheats. This brought the total to 5 silver quarters found on the site. I am considering this yard "explored" and will not be returning for quite some time. I added pics of the house(if anyone recognizes it, please don't even try to enter the property. It has been searched, and the owners have given me exclusive permission). I pictured all the nice coins I found together. I find it very odd that I found a 1902 Barber Quarter and an 1802 Reale. The Indian is 1903. The tootsie toy is a 1939 Mercedes, and the shoe is a very cool old ashtray. The Met Hotel tag was made by the John Robbins Boston company that went out of business in 1885. The large piece I posted under "what is it" and got some interesting answers. Thanks again for sharing in my excitement of my Reale find. Original post below.


Not an April's Fool joke. I dug this coin today in the same yard I dug 3 silver quarters from last week. Next time I go over I will bring a camera to picture the house. It is about 1840. When I saw this coin in the mud, I thought it was a silver dime. Then I realized the size was off. It is closer to nickel in diameter, but thinner. When I flipped it over, I knew I had struck Spanish Silver in Cincinnati, Ohio!!!!! 1802, and I am pretty sure it is a 1 Reale. I would be interested in mintage/value/condition data if anyone wants to chime in. I really don't care about value, b/c mine is priceless. It is interesting to know.....
The true treasure hunter in me came out after finding the coin. There was another signal right next to the spot I dug the coin. It was lower on the spectrum, but at the same depth(coin was only about 4", but on a hill). Now I will have a few days to think about whether it is a gold coin, b/c I left immediately after finding this coin.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.
www.prehistoricartifacts.com
 

Attachments

  • metaldetecting412008b.webp
    metaldetecting412008b.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 700
  • metaldetecting412008c.webp
    metaldetecting412008c.webp
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,047
  • metaldetecting412008a.webp
    metaldetecting412008a.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,357
  • metaldetecting412008b.webp
    metaldetecting412008b.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,420
  • metaldetecting412008b.webp
    metaldetecting412008b.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 646
  • metaldetecting422008a.webp
    metaldetecting422008a.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 532
  • metaldetecting422008b.webp
    metaldetecting422008b.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 560
  • metaldetecting422008c.webp
    metaldetecting422008c.webp
    30.9 KB · Views: 501
  • metaldetecting412008c.webp
    metaldetecting412008c.webp
    14.4 KB · Views: 760
Upvote 0
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beautiful! All I can say is, get back to that site ASAP!
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sweet finds,,,,sounds like you have a great spot to hunt,,,good luck and keep it going
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is an amazingly beautiful Reale. It looks like a 1 Reale to me. I haven't seen a whole lot of early 1800s Reales so that is a treat. Most of the ones I see are from the 16 and 1700s. That coin IS priceless :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You found this in Ohio, what country did you find this in??

Unbelievable find, WTG !!

Keep @ it and HH!!
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Better picture of the back of the coin.
Yes, I found the coin in Cincinnati, Ohio.
Jon.
 

Attachments

  • metaldetecting412008c.webp
    metaldetecting412008c.webp
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,374
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That coin has some amazing detail left on it. Especially on the reverse. Great find!!! :thumbsup:
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow wow wow. Awesome find. Congrats :thumbsup:
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOW!!! Super sweet find!!! Congratulations!! That is a 8 reales, Spanish Milled Busted Charles IV Coin, Date 1802, minted in Mexico. The Assayer: FT, Weight: 26.9 grams, Diameter: 1.6 inches. IMPRESSED??? Sounds like I really know my coins huh?? I Wish! :D I found it on a website.
http://www.newworldtreasures.com/milledbust.htm go to item number 7000 about half down the page. They have a coin exactly like yours for sale for $345 bucks. I am bound and determined to find Spanish silver or gold one of these days, but until I do it is always great reading about you guys that find them. Great Job!!
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome find, great coin pointdlr. Good luck when you return to dig up the other signal, I don't think I could have walked away especially a lower tone? :icon_scratch:
Glenn
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats totally awesome dude! Spanish Silver is Rare in these parts! Especially when your talking about finding it in ohio! Man your lucky!
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is a 8 reales, Spanish Milled Busted Charles IV Coin, Date 1802, minted in Mexico. The Assayer: FT, Weight: 26.9 grams, Diameter: 1.6 inches. IMPRESSED??? Sounds like I really know my coins huh??

TreasureDiver, Jon's coin is a 1 Real, not an 8 Reale.

Very nice Real, Jon. It's in great shape!! Amazing what you can dig up in Ohio, huh? :thumbsup:

Now go back out there and dig up that low conductor...Maybe it's a gold Spanish Escudo.... ::) ::)

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

con grat's brother! asap on the same spot, hope there's GOLD for you. GOOD LUCK
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great find! What a beautiful coin!
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man that is nice and after reading all the april fools stuff, very welcome indeed.
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a beautiful coin Jon ... congratz on a great old piece of silver ~ Jimmy
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excellent Coin in Excellent Condition! It's always a great rush when you find a Reale! That's the beauty of metal detecting...when the find exceeds your expectations. Congrats!
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jon,
That is a beautiful reale find. Just awesome. :thumbsup: Congrats, and I hope you find some more.
-MM-
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man that's a great coin!! What's a coin like that doing in Ohio :o :o. Could be the first coin ever lost in Ohio. Tony
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow!!!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom