What's new

Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today-UPDATE- Site Totals

pointdlr

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2007
Messages
414
Reaction score
78
Golden Thread
0
Location
Cincinnati, Ohio
- I was thinking about the site all night, and had to go back this morning. I took fellow t-netter Lostlake over to it. He found a silver quarter-1957. I scored some more wheats. This brought the total to 5 silver quarters found on the site. I am considering this yard "explored" and will not be returning for quite some time. I added pics of the house(if anyone recognizes it, please don't even try to enter the property. It has been searched, and the owners have given me exclusive permission). I pictured all the nice coins I found together. I find it very odd that I found a 1902 Barber Quarter and an 1802 Reale. The Indian is 1903. The tootsie toy is a 1939 Mercedes, and the shoe is a very cool old ashtray. The Met Hotel tag was made by the John Robbins Boston company that went out of business in 1885. The large piece I posted under "what is it" and got some interesting answers. Thanks again for sharing in my excitement of my Reale find. Original post below.


Not an April's Fool joke. I dug this coin today in the same yard I dug 3 silver quarters from last week. Next time I go over I will bring a camera to picture the house. It is about 1840. When I saw this coin in the mud, I thought it was a silver dime. Then I realized the size was off. It is closer to nickel in diameter, but thinner. When I flipped it over, I knew I had struck Spanish Silver in Cincinnati, Ohio!!!!! 1802, and I am pretty sure it is a 1 Reale. I would be interested in mintage/value/condition data if anyone wants to chime in. I really don't care about value, b/c mine is priceless. It is interesting to know.....
The true treasure hunter in me came out after finding the coin. There was another signal right next to the spot I dug the coin. It was lower on the spectrum, but at the same depth(coin was only about 4", but on a hill). Now I will have a few days to think about whether it is a gold coin, b/c I left immediately after finding this coin.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.
www.prehistoricartifacts.com
 

Attachments

  • metaldetecting412008b.webp
    metaldetecting412008b.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 700
  • metaldetecting412008c.webp
    metaldetecting412008c.webp
    14.4 KB · Views: 1,047
  • metaldetecting412008b.webp
    metaldetecting412008b.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 1,420
  • metaldetecting412008a.webp
    metaldetecting412008a.webp
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,357
  • metaldetecting412008b.webp
    metaldetecting412008b.webp
    15.7 KB · Views: 646
  • metaldetecting412008c.webp
    metaldetecting412008c.webp
    14.4 KB · Views: 760
  • metaldetecting422008a.webp
    metaldetecting422008a.webp
    21.1 KB · Views: 532
  • metaldetecting422008b.webp
    metaldetecting422008b.webp
    29.1 KB · Views: 560
  • metaldetecting422008c.webp
    metaldetecting422008c.webp
    30.9 KB · Views: 501
Upvote 0
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice reale WTG
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulation's......Still Dreaming ::) Beautiful coin!!!!!
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbsup: WOW :thumbsup: nice coin !!!!
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nice discovery , guess I should of been out hunting instead of being a :icon_jokercolor:
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WoW VerY NicE FinD!!!! Good shape to ..
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats a real bute!! :thumbsup:
I just found one of those myself, check the banner.
HH
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great find! :occasion14: I can't wait to see what else you'll find there. Keep us posted.
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOWWWWWWWWW!

Jon, WHY on earth would you not dig that other signal????? I can not inderstand WHY you left, if there was still another signal in that hole. My god man,....GET BACK THERE!!!!
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the great comments. I have already planned a trip back today with Lostlake. I'm sure that other signal is nothing, but wouldn't it be great if it was gold..... When I used to hunt for indian artifacts, I could leave a point in-situ for minutes just looking at it, and getting excited to pull it out of the ground. I guess that same mentality let me leave the other signal. For you Explorer users, I have to say it was pinned on the bottom of the screen, so I was thinking it was a nickel. For reference sake, the Reale was coming in from one angle like a silver dime, and another angle closer to a copper penny.
I kept thinking this yard would produce my first seated coin. I never even dreamed of an 1802 Reale. It is really crazy to think that Ohio wasn't even a state when the coin was minted. There have been plenty of them found around here, but I didn't expect to find one. What a great hobby(except for the addictive properties).
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.
www.prehistoricartifacts.com
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really great find there. Congrats. Hope your luck continues on the next hunt.
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice find!!!
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wtg awesome find congrats and hh
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TreasureDiver, Jon's coin is a 1 Real, not an 8 Reale.

Very nice Real, Jon. It's in great shape!! Amazing what you can dig up in Ohio, huh? thumbsup

Now go back out there and dig up that low conductor...Maybe it's a gold Spanish Escudo.... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey Dan (CAPTN SE),

Thanks for the correction. I know nothing about Spanish Reales. How can you tell the difference between the denominations?

Thanks
Frank (Treasure-Diver)
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice spanish silver

HH Jer
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Treasure-Diver said:
Hey Dan (CAPTN SE),

Thanks for the correction. I know nothing about Spanish Reales. How can you tell the difference between the denominations?

Thanks
Frank (Treasure-Diver)


Because of the size of the coin. He said it was roughly nickel-sized. 8-Reales coins are silver dollar-sized. So this is a One Real.

And a great looking One Real at that!


Congratulations,


Buckleboy
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Dan (CAPTN SE),

Thanks for the correction. I know nothing about Spanish Reales. How can you tell the difference between the denominations?

Thanks
Frank (Treasure-Diver)

In addition to Buckleboy's correct size ID, look at Jon's Real again, and notice the "1R" between the mintmark and assayer's initials. That stands for 1 Real.

Jon, gotta chime in again, that is a beautiful Real !!

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bachman-Turner sang, "Any love is good love", and any type of Spanish silver Reale is great!
And yours is in nicer shape than the average dug ones, albeit a bit newer than most.

Great coin! And big fun to dig up.
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic find, Spanish silver was legal tender in the U.S. until 1857. You certainly have a chance to find some Spanish silver along the Ohio river. I've dug privies at many 1830's to 1860's places down there and always regretted not bringing the detector. I've seen a lot of great finds come from your area. Your's is one of the nicest I've seen. :thumbsup:
 
Re: Oldest Coin, Oldest Silver Found Today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congo Rats on the find! It's gorgeous!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom