What's new

Oldest find yet,1839 Seated Dime, Merc, Wheats and Capt. M. Decoder Badge

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2007
Messages
10,318
Reaction score
45
Golden Thread
0
Location
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good evening everyone. Went back to the early 1900's farm site and pounded it again. To my surprise, I found my first seated dime and the oldest to date. It is worn a bit but have no idea how long it has been laying in this yard as the farm dated from the early 1900's :icon_scratch: My half dime was 1842. Found some more old wheats (5) the oldest being 1913 and some 40's/50's. Found a nice 37 merc in good shape. Also found another cool local token. This is my 3rd token from this place. Also found a few cool relics. One has Captain Midnight's Secret Squadron on it. Looks like some kind of badge. Anyone know what it is?? Also found a heart shaped badge but the pin is missing. No idea on it either. Found a fishing sinker and some. That thing must weight 1/8 of a pound ;D. Then found some knob???? Thanks for looking. Ron


001-6.jpg


002-6.jpg


002-7.jpg


003-6.jpg


006-5.jpg


004-6.jpg


007-5.jpg


008-5.jpg


009-5.jpg


010-5.jpg


013-2.jpg


011-4.jpg


012-2.jpg


014-2.jpg


016-2.jpg


015-2.jpg


017-2.jpg


018-2.jpg


019-2.jpg


001-7.jpg


005-5.jpg
 
Upvote 0
Re: First seated dime... 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and some cool relics

catskillcomics said:
And in case your interested : Hake's Price Guide to Character Toys value for Capt Midnight's Decoder badge - $160
Just remember the prices in price guides are for items undug so the price maybe alot lower for an item that was in the ground....
 
Re: First seated dime 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and A Captain M. Decoder badge

NICE SPOT!!
& GREAT FINDS!
HAPPY HUNTING!

John
 
Re: First seated dime 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and A Captain M. Decoder badge

Congrats on an assortment of nice finds, topped off by that old silver!
 
Re: First seated dime 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and A Captain M. Decoder badge

Congrats on the nice finds !

TommNJ
 
Re: First seated dime 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and A Captain M. Decoder badge

Wow congrats CJH! It's good to see your finding the good stuff!
 
Re: First seated dime 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and A Captain M. Decoder badge

Captn_SE said:
Wow, Ron, congrats on your first seated dime!!

And the CAPTN Midnight Decoder Badge is a really cool find too.

HH,

CAPTN SE
Dan
Thanks Dan and that cool picture of the man himself :icon_sunny:
 
Re: First seated dime 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and A Captain M. Decoder badge

Mirage said:
Ron,
That is a nice date to find for your first seated. :icon_sunny: The more typical is a 1877 or 1876.

Some other good stuff in there. Like the dirty coin pics. 8)

Also, looks like the place you detected was smithsville. :D I have a good friend who's sister-in-law is in Utica. They are Smiths. We detected the farm and found some nice stuff...

Bob

Thanks Bob. Because the place is not real old the seated took me by surprise. It was out in the front yard closer to the road (25 feet) . Since the road is old (gravel) at one time someone on a horse and buggy may have lost it. 1 theory ::)
 
Re: First seated dime 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and A Captain M. Decoder badge

Bartman said:
Nice coins. I'm interested to see what that last item is b/c I found one exatcly like it last year. I think it is some type of gas fitting for a stove, but I could be wrong.

It's heavy for it's size. One end has a small hole but is filled with dirt so I didn't bother showing that. No idea on what it might be
 
Re: First seated dime 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and A Captain M. Decoder badge

Nice finds! That would have been a fun hunt. Congrats.

Big E
Emil
 
Re: First seated dime 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and A Captain M. Decoder badge

Ron , another great hunt for you ! That 1839 is a wonderful find , isn't that first year of issue ? Argentium.
 
Re: First seated dime 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and A Captain M. Decoder badge

Cool! Love that badge! :icon_pirat: And of course the silver! 8) Fantastic hunting, CJ!

Nana~
 
Re: First seated dime 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and A Captain M. Decoder badge

Field cleaned. :-\


Oh well.



Hey, your aluminum token is in nice shape. Every one of those I find has aluminum rot. :(




-Buckles
 
Re: First seated dime 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and A Captain M. Decoder badge

BuckleBoy said:
Field cleaned. :-\


Oh well.



Hey, your aluminum token is in nice shape. Every one of those I find has aluminum rot. :(

How did you know I field cleaned it ::) Some small scratches I assume. The token might clean up a little bit more but I haven't done much with it. That's for looking Ron


-Buckles
 
Re: First seated dime 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and A Captain M. Decoder badge

Argentium said:
Ron , another great hunt for you ! That 1839 is a wonderful find , isn't that first year of issue ? Argentium.

Don't know. I don't have a coin book and need to get one. I thought it was a half dime at first but after looking at the back and read one dime I was happy.

Just looked it up. 1837 was the first year
 
Re: First seated dime 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and A Captain M. Decoder badge

Great digs! Congrats! The Captain M decoder is very collectable! :)
 
Re: First seated dime 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and A Captain M. Decoder badge

check this out! http://www.the-forum.com/EPHEMERA/cmd.htm Photomatic Decoder Brass Badge with original photo. 1942 Photo has been folded but is still very hard to come by.. (Stock number 005CMD39) $225.00 SOLD
Too bad the photo isnt on the badge!
 
Re: First seated dime 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and A Captain M. Decoder badge

crazyjarhead said:
Bartman said:
Nice coins. I'm interested to see what that last item is b/c I found one exatcly like it last year. I think it is some type of gas fitting for a stove, but I could be wrong.

It's heavy for it's size. One end has a small hole but is filled with dirt so I didn't bother showing that. No idea on what it might be
I took a second look at mine and it is very similar to yours. I'm thinking maybe a powder measure or something. I'm with you though, it is very heavy. The site I found mine at I would say is late 1800's.
 
Re: First seated dime 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and A Captain M. Decoder badge

Wow, what a great bunch of finds!
Any one of those would have made my day. That site's gonna keep you busy for a long time.
Mike
 
Re: First seated dime 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and A Captain M. Decoder badge

nice finds ron. like the silver find. :thumbsup:
 
Re: First seated dime 1839, Merc, Token, Wheats and A Captain M. Decoder badge

Gettintoknowsomethin said:
check this out! http://www.the-forum.com/EPHEMERA/cmd.htm Photomatic Decoder Brass Badge with original photo. 1942 Photo has been folded but is still very hard to come by.. (Stock number 005CMD39) $225.00 SOLD
Too bad the photo isnt on the badge!

Nice link. I didn't realize what I had found. I'll give it another look :icon_sunny:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom