Oldest silver coin to date is Seated Half Dime (full Liberty)

Turtleman

Feb 8, 2007
NW PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 and Minelab Explorer II
Folks,
I got to do some swinging in 'Brass Park' -not its actual name but what I call it b/c of all the old shotgun butts I find there (34 today, several hundred since I started hunting this place) - and I finally found some silver there...an 1871 Seated Half Dime. It rang up middle of the screen but pegged to the top on the Explorer Smart Screen mode. I was excited b/c I was thinking I was going to dig my first silver from there...for some reason I was thinking Mercury dime. Anytime I get a coin signal with the Explorer I fire up my Ace 250 b/c I don't have a pinpointer and the Ace is great at pinpointing. So not wanting to scratch the coin, I got my Ace and it rang up as a penny. I was bummed thinking it was a wheatie. I got a good pinpoint and when I turned over the very dark soil there was the little shiny disc. I could see it was an 1871 and a Seated and had a hunch it was a half dime but wasn't sure if it might be a 3-cent piece. I only found out for sure after I got home and rinsed the back off. I marched that coin straight to my vehicle and couldn't believe I'd finally landed my first Seated. I also found my first 'fatty' Indian Head but am waiting to get a date once the crud comes off.
I still don't know what was in this spot at one time. The park dates to the early 1900's but most of my coins have dated to the mid to mid-late 1800's ('48 LC, old IH's, two 1864 2-cents). Everything to date has come from a 30X30 yard wooded spot in the park.
Well, I usually only find a few coins when I hunt this spot but they are usually oldies. Today held true to that. Can't ask for anything better than two firsts in the same hunt on a beautiful day.
HH to all!
Peace,
T-man

Attachments

• Seated front.jpg
    Seated front.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 499
  • Seated back.jpg
    Seated back.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 502
Upvote 0

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Nice! You wonder why they kept making them when nickels were already being made. Glad for you they did!

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet seated :icon_thumleft: MR TUFF

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score on the half dime :thumbsup: I haven't found a US half dime yet but I've found a few fishscales.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice dig. Love those half dimes. :icon_thumright: