cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks Egyptian from my limited knowledge.......

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to be the broken portion of a small statuette or perhaps a decorative part of something larger depicting a pharaoh of Egypt. Both the striped headcloth around the face (known as a ‘nemes’) and the false beard (known as a ‘postiche’) are indicative that it represents a royal figure, or a god depicted as royalty.

The more interesting question is whether it’s genuinely an ancient dynastic item or from one of the thousands of replicas that have been made for tourist markets over the years. Unfortunately, it’s not possible to say from your picture… but it’s a neat item nevertheless.

I guess there may be reasons why you might not wish to take it to the museum authorities, but that may be the only way you can get confirmation. I assume there is nothing helpful on the back, nor any hieroglyphs anywhere on it?

Last edited:

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow...Can't help you with any accurate info ( original vs. reproduction), but that is one fantastic find!

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I swear its Alfred E Neuman! Lol. I have no clue but it is cool.

Attachments

• Internet_20210509_163659.png
    Internet_20210509_163659.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 203

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It appears to be the broken portion of a small statuette or perhaps a decorative part of something larger depicting a pharaoh of Egypt. Both the striped headcloth around the face (known as a ‘nemes’) and the false beard (known as a ‘postiche’) are indicative that it represents a royal figure, or a god depicted as royalty.

The more interesting question is whether it’s genuinely an ancient dynastic item or from one of the thousands of replicas that have been made for tourist markets over the years. Unfortunately, it’s not possible to say from your picture… but it’s a neat item nevertheless.

I guess there may be reasons why you might not wish to take it to the museum authorities, but that may be the only way you can get confirmation. I assume there is nothing helpful on the back, nor any hieroglyphs anywhere on it?
I agree, hard to tell from that picture, likelihood is more modern, doesn't seem to have the finer quality workmanship. (my guess)

Elvis

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Lafayette, Georgia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Nokta Simplex+
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know anything about it, but pretty cool find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread