OMG! Look what I found!

TheButtonKing

Jun 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OMG! Look what I found! A spanish silver!

Today, We were out in this cornfield and There was a house there in 1868 but the house didnt stay up for long. When we got there, I started out to the cornfield while my dad,my uncle, and my other friend were staying in the front of the cornfield. There was this hump in the cornfield and I went straight to it. Next thing you know, I got a 81 signal extremely loud on my Garrett AT Pro. I started digging and I knew this one was going to be good! I started digging and I Take out my pinpointer and move around in the dirt pile from the hole. All I saw was the silver rounding and I was like OMG! I was like oh man, whats this going to be? I pulled it out and It was a 1768 Spanish Silver 1/2 reale. It was my first spanish reale ever in my entire life. Then, I keep detecting. DING DING DING again! It was a 79-81 on my AT Pro. So, I started digging it and this one I did the same thing where the coin was in the dirt i dug up and all I see is half of it after I pinpointed it. Then I pulled it out of the hole and It said 1758. It turned out that the coin was from the netherlands! I was so psyched out today that both of those signals were coins and Also I got some flat buttons,1 cufflink, and some other special things. I feel bad that none of the other guys found any coins. I was the only one who found coins.

Here are the pictures:
20141130_073842.jpg 20141130_073818.jpg 20141130_073741.jpg 20141130_073714.jpg 20141130_082153.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 28

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great coins. I'd be going back to that spot as soon as possible

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
This is outstanding! :occasion18::icon_flower::blob9::icon_flower::occasion18: To find two fabulous coins both a hundred years older than the house nearby had been - fantastic! I think you & your family will dig either more coins or older relics from that area. Possibly the two you found were part of a collection that had passed down through that family rather than being coins lost back in the 1700's -- would be wonderful if those coins could talk! Congrats! :icon_thumright: Andi

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You knew right where to go and it paid off with two beautifull 18th century silver coins. Those humbs are the first thing I look for and that should be a lesson for anyone who hasn't done alot of field hunting. Congrats and I hope you go back and grid that section up like there is no tomorrow, go low and slow and I bet you come up with plenty more goodies.
ZDD

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Today, We were out in this cornfield and There was a house there in 1868 but the house didnt stay up for long. When we got there, I started out to the cornfield while my dad,my uncle, and my other friend were staying in the front of the cornfield. There was this hump in the cornfield and I went straight to it. Next thing you know, I got a 81 signal extremely loud on my Garrett AT Pro. I started digging and I knew this one was going to be good! I started digging and I Take out my pinpointer and move around in the dirt pile from the hole. All I saw was the silver rounding and I was like OMG! I was like oh man, whats this going to be? I pulled it out and It was a 1768 Spanish Silver 1/2 reale. It was my first spanish reale ever in my entire life. Then, I keep detecting. DING DING DING again! It was a 79-81 on my AT Pro. So, I started digging it and this one I did the same thing where the coin was in the dirt i dug up and all I see is half of it after I pinpointed it. Then I pulled it out of the hole and It said 1758. It turned out that the coin was from the netherlands! I was so psyched out today that both of those signals were coins and Also I got some flat buttons,1 cufflink, and some other special things. I feel bad that none of the other guys found any coins. I was the only one who found coins.

Here are the pictures:
View attachment 1086168 View attachment 1086171 View attachment 1086169 View attachment 1086170 View attachment 1086172

Awesome condition on the coins. The relics are very cool. Love those buttons. :icon_thumleft: I think your site is much older than 1868. Possibly colonial era. I would go back to that site and slow down and work small areas until you have really worked that ground hard. I bet there is more goodies awaiting your coil. The AT Pro can get it done too. :occasion14:

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the Spanish Silver, I would love to dig one sometime. I looks like you found a good place to metal detect. You must have been ecstatic to see colonial silver in or on the side of the hole. It looks like you found a variety of colonial relics, from broken shoe buckles and colonial buttons to awesome colonial coins. It looks like you have an incredible spot, and congrats on the great colonial finds, especially the Spanish silver and 1758 coin.

Coinman123,

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
TheButtonKing, As I stated in my other post, your finds look older than 1868 and probably colonial. What state are you in?

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Spanish silver is fit for a pirate! Maybe it was once owned by one! A Dutch pirate from the Netherlands who moved to America to find riches! :skullflag: :treasurechest: :D

RJ55

Bronze Member
Jul 2, 2014
western NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds, hope you find more.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and welcome to the club, they are always fun to dig…way to read the land in the cornfield…landed you few nice finds...

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome Spanish!, I finally dug my first Spanish silver late this season 1794 half reale
congrats!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great hunt! Nice going on the two really nice coins, it would a go to place for many hunts down the road.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Keep looking there may be more stuff!
Don't worry bout them they will find theirs too!

alb1

Jan 15, 2014
Weselberg, Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab Ctx 3030, my favorite E-Trac & NEL Tornado. Garrett Carrot, (Previously, MXT PRO with D2 and SEF 10x12 coil)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice find. I doubt I'll find anything that nice here in the NW.

OP
OP
T

TheButtonKing

Jun 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the compliments! This was a fun coin to find. If some of you understood that by the way I said the house was built in 1868, I was actually trying to say that we saw it on our 1868 map and that is how we found this site.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very very nice. Congrats on the old coins. GL&HH!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! Congrats on your first Spanish silver. You're on an old site there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions