What's new

OMG--Visited the Cason City Mint today

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
Joined
May 16, 2007
Messages
2,494
Reaction score
11
Golden Thread
0
Location
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
We went to Carson City today. They were having their annual coin show at the Mint /Museum. Today was only one of 3 days a year that they run the original coin press (#1) and make souvenir coins. I watched them put threw brass planchet in and then press the coin that I bought for $5. If you are ever in CC you have to got visit the Mint. They had old dies they dug up which were Walking Liberty's.

Pics
1. The brass planchet they used for my coin. I’ll take a pic and post it tomorrow.
2. The machine operator holding my just minted coin.
3. One of the old dies dug up on the grounds, a seated Liberty.
4. A sheet of 90% silver from the mint with the planchet’s cut out.
5. Coin press #1, the first and famous CC one that made all the silver dollars, and my new coin.
6. Mint Plaque.
7. The dies they dug up.
8. The coin I bought fresh minted.
9. Other side of above.
 

Attachments

  • ScreenHunter_02 Aug. 26 20.28.webp
    ScreenHunter_02 Aug. 26 20.28.webp
    85.9 KB · Views: 516
  • ScreenHunter_09 Aug. 26 22.21.webp
    ScreenHunter_09 Aug. 26 22.21.webp
    54.6 KB · Views: 445
  • ScreenHunter_08 Aug. 26 22.21.webp
    ScreenHunter_08 Aug. 26 22.21.webp
    14.3 KB · Views: 419
  • ScreenHunter_07 Aug. 26 20.51.webp
    ScreenHunter_07 Aug. 26 20.51.webp
    81.2 KB · Views: 479
  • ScreenHunter_06 Aug. 26 20.50.webp
    ScreenHunter_06 Aug. 26 20.50.webp
    64.1 KB · Views: 469
  • ScreenHunter_05 Aug. 26 20.30.webp
    ScreenHunter_05 Aug. 26 20.30.webp
    35.3 KB · Views: 474
  • ScreenHunter_04 Aug. 26 20.29.webp
    ScreenHunter_04 Aug. 26 20.29.webp
    26.6 KB · Views: 480
  • ScreenHunter_03 Aug. 26 20.29.webp
    ScreenHunter_03 Aug. 26 20.29.webp
    70.9 KB · Views: 482
  • ScreenHunter_01 Aug. 26 20.28.webp
    ScreenHunter_01 Aug. 26 20.28.webp
    77.4 KB · Views: 486
Upvote 0
How cool was that!

What a terrific experience, it sounds wonderful!

You said "only three days a year" they do this - do you know when the other two days are?

thanks for the pictures- they're great
HH
Nan
 
roswellborn said:
How cool was that!

What a terrific experience, it sounds wonderful!

You said "only three days a year" they do this - do you know when the other two days are?

thanks for the pictures- they're great
HH
Nan
I'm really not sure. Here is a link for the Nevada State Museum. You could probably email them and find out. It is well worth the wait. http://dmla.clan.lib.nv.us/docs/museums/cc/carson.htm
 
Awesome!
Thanks for the great pictures!
 
Hey LJ, between you and OR, with all your profits waiting to be had, how about funding a "class" field trip for us on this site ? Well, perhaps the first dozen or so ? 8)

Thanks for the story and photos, aw !
 
I don't think I will ever be able to make that trip but have always dreamed about visiting a mint and taking a tour. Thanks for the pictures, This is about as close as I will get..
 
snappy said:
I don't think I will ever be able to make that trip but have always dreamed about visiting a mint and taking a tour. Thanks for the pictures, This is about as close as I will get..
You could get on line and find the nearest regular mint and go tour it.
 
FAntastic post! Thanks for sharing the experience.
 
Thanks for posting those great pics AW! This is a trip I would love to experience!
 
oldred said:
Thanks for posting those great pics AW! This is a trip I would love to experience!
If you can ever get over that way it is worth it.
 
Here is a copy of a story about the Carson city Press #1. It might be hard to read here. If anyone wants a copy, PM me with your email address and I will send it to you. It is very interesting.
 

Attachments

  • ScreenHunter_016.webp
    ScreenHunter_016.webp
    42.6 KB · Views: 256
Wonderful story. I loved the experience you shared with us. Like we were there (A little) too. :-) Thanks.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom