On Glass Points - Barter?

ianSF

Apr 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Hi All-

I've been reading the glass point thread and haven't commented because I really don't know a lot about artifacts. While looking for some other stuff on Google Books, I came across this book published by the Smithsonian in 1899 that mentions they were known to have been made in California and used for barter. The passage below comes from the bottom of page 968 when discussing an encampment in Colorado.

Arrowpoints, Spearheads, and Knives of Prehistoric Times (1899)
Thomas Wilson
Curator, Division of Prehistoric Archaeology
Smithsonian Institution

The complete book can be found for free here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Y1...as_maxm_is=0&as_maxy_is=1930&num=50&as_brr=1#

-----------
The Indians seem to have carried on quite a trade among themselves, in order to procure the materials for arrowpoint-making, and some of the chippings found in their encampments are from stones which cannot be found within several miles of this place, and some, I think, have been brought from distant localities. Although the Indians used several kinds of stone in the manufacture of arrowpoints et they seem to have had a preference for quartzite, chalcedony, and jasperized wood, probably on account of their superior hardness, and may have made others from handsomer but less durable stones only for purpose of barter, the Indians of California exchanged arrowheads made of bottle glass.

Upvote 0
Glass arrowheads are pretty rare, but they were made. It seems in most areas they were used only for a short time as when glass was obtainable, so was metal. I know they have been found on the Gulf Coast of Texas on Karankawa sites, and turn up now and again in other areas.
In California, they were made right up to the 20th century by some groups.

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoyed and appreciated this post (Thanks T.M. for pointing it out) and am interested in the book described here. Thanks for tossing this into the ring, as I believe its not a well known subject. I went out today and sure enough..... picked up four more triangle, blue and green glass "points' from the same spot. At this point, I have little doubts that with a few exceptions, most of the glass points that I have found at the site were in fact used for fishing spear tips. In any case... thanks again and stay safe.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread