On my way to Galveston Beach

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my New Surfmaster PI Plus detector the beginning of last month and now finally work is sending me to Houston for the week. Because I am from Kansas City this will be my first attempt at beach hunting. I am looking for any advice and also any known good areas down around the Houston area. The only Beaches I have ever heard about near Houston is Galveston so thats where I plan on going unless someone can steer me somewhere else. Anyone on here live near Galveston that would like to show a T-Netter the ropes in the water? I would greatly appreciate any advice and recommendations. I will be arriving Friday night 8/11/06 and have the weekend to do what ever I want. Hope to hear from everyone.

Upvote 0
OBD,

best of luck on your trip, hope you
find something really wonderful.

Someday, I want to have the chance to
check out Galveston.

have a good un...........

one more question, is there any way to predict when the surf will be calm?

Hey OD - I'm in Houston and, as a matter of fact, Justin75790 and I are planning to hit Galveston on Saturday or Sunday. The plans aren't finalized but we should know what we're going to do by Friday night. There are many beach areas, but the busiest are Stewart Beach and East Beach. If you want to hook up, let me know and I'll PM my phone number, etc.

Here's a Galveston web cam site, including Stewart Beach...

http://www.galveston.com/webcams/

Here's a tide predictor site (looks like low tides very early in the morning and late in the afternoon for the weekend)...

http://scilib.ucsd.edu/sio/tide/

Check the weather for the weekend...the surf is easiest to hunt when there is wind blowing from north to south.

HH!
TBGO

Good luck with the surfmaster! I've owned a surfmaster and it is a very good detector. I've never detected the beaches in Texas, just FL but gotta be similar. You've got to have a good scoop.

My fav is what I call a shovel scoop. It works just like a shovel. One does not have to bend down to dig, you just put your foot on it like a shovel. It's two piece which makes for easy packing.

The type is a hand scoop. One has to bend down to use this one! Hand scoops are also made from plastic.

Kansas City? I live in KC metro. Drop me an email sometime and we'll do some detectin!

Good luck in Texas! Everything is big down there, even the finds!

Attachments

• shovel scoop.JPG
    shovel scoop.JPG
    30.6 KB · Views: 343
  • hand scoop.JPG
    hand scoop.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 315
  • Plastic Scoop.JPG
    Plastic Scoop.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 323
if you go across the ferry- you will come to bolivar peninsula - then drive a couple of miles an you will come to the beach which is miles of metal detecting heaven - here you can take your car on the beach for free and there are a lot of beach goers there - i would love to go but i have too many things going on - happy hunting.

angeltrash1 said:
if you go across the ferry- you will come to bolivar peninsula - then drive a couple of miles an you will come to the beach which is miles of metal detecting heaven - here you can take your car on the beach for free and there are a lot of beach goers there - i would love to go but i have too many things going on - happy hunting.

Yep, it's called Crystal Beach. I've only hunted it once...lots of melted cans. It's so long that you would need to know the local hot spots where people gather.

HH!
TBGO

For more info on checking these beaches, check out thegoldenolde.com/ I sure miss hunting Galveston with Norm.

Sandman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back