What's new

On the way to the farm field and once I got there.

worldtalker

Platinum Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
May 11, 2011
Messages
21,617
Reaction score
31,162
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I walk thru the park to get to the field swinging my coil as I go..screeching high tone,I could tell it
was a long target,21 dimes stacked laying flat,to bad they weren't silver.:BangHead:

Did the field(again)and ended up with a 1893 IH plus a cool pin,I believe it's Naval with the Anchors,
Gold and Silver gilt.

Well..tomorrow I'm hitting the park across the river EARLY,there's got to be more Gold there..8 since 12/5/14.


GOD Bless

Chris
 

Attachments

  • 004.webp
    004.webp
    884.9 KB · Views: 160
  • 011.webp
    011.webp
    195.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 009.webp
    009.webp
    332.6 KB · Views: 161
  • 010.webp
    010.webp
    384.1 KB · Views: 163
Upvote 24
Some awesome color to that badge! Will look great in a display case.
 
USN Commissioned Officer Hat badge/device (vintage, possibly pre ww2)
 
USN Commissioned Officer Hat badge/device (vintage, possibly pre ww2)

I figured it was rank related,here's a pic after a light spray of lacquer.
 

Attachments

  • 012.webp
    012.webp
    417.5 KB · Views: 145
  • 018.webp
    018.webp
    338.5 KB · Views: 130
WT,

Thanks for the follow up pics with after the shot of lacquer. I say pre 1941 because the eagle is facing left (to the wearer's left). The eagle facing left was derived from the Napoleonic eagle and it was normally depicted facing left, why left is apparently unknown. However, by 1941 the Navy changed the regs to confirm with heraldic rules which has the eagle facing right (toward the wearer's sword arm). This rule change continues to be in effect today. Do you mind checking for a maker's mark on the reverse side (the mark could be in several places but check the bottom part of the anchors or in the middle of the shield. May be worn away but I think there may be something in there.
 
WT, I sure like that badge...13 stars, shield...it has it all. Those dimes could just as easily have been silver too!
 
WT,

Thanks for the follow up pics with after the shot of lacquer. I say pre 1941 because the eagle is facing left (to the wearer's left). The eagle facing left was derived from the Napoleonic eagle and it was normally depicted facing left, why left is apparently unknown. However, by 1941 the Navy changed the regs to confirm with heraldic rules which has the eagle facing right (toward the wearer's sword arm). This rule change continues to be in effect today. Do you mind checking for a maker's mark on the reverse side (the mark could be in several places but check the bottom part of the anchors or in the middle of the shield. May be worn away but I think there may be something in there.
I agree with you, it is very likely pre-WW II. Does it happen to have a small stamp on the back of either an M of 2H's?
 
i think pre ww2 naval officers hat badge...niceIMG_0327.webp
 
I agree with you, it is very likely pre-WW II. Does it happen to have a small stamp on the back of either an M of 2H's?

I don't see any marks.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom