One for the Bullet Experts

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab e-Trac, White E-Series DFX
I'm searching a site and have no idea how old it is. I've found a couple of things that will hopefully tell me a time period. This listing is for a bullet. I'm familiar with the 3 ringer Civil War bullets but I'm not familiar with this. I've seen wad-cutter bullets with 2 rings but not three. The bullet is 9mm so it does qualify as a .38 caliber.

Thanks for any insights.

Daryl

Attachments

• 3ringbullet.JPG
    3ringbullet.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 182
OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
That's what I thought. Thanks. Was just hoping that sometime in the past they switched from three rings to two.

One down the toilet. Two to go. :D

Daryl

Upvote 0

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
It's a semi wadcutter. A wadcutter is seated pretty much flush with the case mouth. A semi wadcutter extends past the mouth.
Below is a wadcutter in the first pic. The second pic is a semi wadcutter.

Attachments

• wad.jpg
    wad.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 178
  • semi.jpg
    semi.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 183
  • wad2.jpg
    wad2.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 186
  • semi2.jpg
    semi2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 184
Upvote 0
OP
OP
BioProfessor

BioProfessor

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2007
Mankato, MN
Detector(s) used
That's my read too. The wad-cutter has 3 grooves and the semi-wadcutter has 2. So this semi-wadcutter has 3. Am I missing something? ???

Daryl

Upvote 0

Ken from Atlanta

Feb 4, 2008
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
BioProfessor said:
That's my read too. The wad-cutter has 3 grooves and the semi-wadcutter has 2. So this semi-wadcutter has 3. Am I missing something? ???

Daryl

You're not missing anything, there are so many people making their own bullets for re-loading, and so many different manufacturers making these things that I don't think there is really any kind of standard out there.

Upvote 0

dkw

Jul 8, 2006
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Deleon, Ace 250
Like Ken said, there has been a multitude of designs and styles of bullets available over the years.

Here's one with no grooves.

Attachments

• none.jpg
    none.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 176
Upvote 0

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you see small vertical grooves within the recessed bands (like in yours), it's likely they're modern.
I'm not sure when ordnance manufactures started this practice. . . maybe someone else might have an idea.

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have wadcutters with no rings at all. All depends on the manufacturer and their whims.

Yours in the image is a swaged semi-wadcutter. The rings are knurled - meaning they were added after the bullet was machine swaged from a piece of lead wire (as opposed to cast). That makes it 100 years or newer.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread