One of a kind "Texas Star" hat accoutrement

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My grandpa bought this hat pin many years ago and it was supposedly dug at a Texas Camp in northern virginia. He traded something like 2000 dropped bullets for it so basically $2000. Obviously since its one of a kind apparently i assume it will be hard to tell if its a reproduction or not. He did take it to a authenticator and they did say it looked suspicous but werent certain. We hope its real but if its a fantasy piece oh well. I will add it came from diggers with a giant collection of genuine artifacts. Any help would be appreciated. 25112.jpeg 25111.jpeg

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's a great piece! "Looked suspicious"? It's obviously a handmade TEXAS pin or button, and not pretending to be anything else. It is of course authentic, age unknown. Nice!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
DiggerKid2003

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats good news! Age is the main part lol. Were hoping its civil war. Glad it looks authentic and not like a 1980s machine pressed replica.

Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a Fantastic looking Texas Star hat pin. This brings back a memory to me. I used to do Living History and we portrayed the 30th Ga. Infantry, Army of Tennessee. We had a member that was originally from Texas and he was proud of his Texas roots. On his hat he wore a Texas hat pin. He was unfortunately killed in an accident going to Texas to visit family. He was a great guy. I agree with what was said about the hat pin being special because it belonged to your Grandad. Great looking piece that any Hunter or collector would be proud to have in their collection.

Upvote 0

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting piece. The lack of serifs on the lettering makes its age a little questionable, but still a nice keepsake from your grandpa!

Upvote 0

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anything you inherit that holds the memory of a grandparent is very special. :thumbsup:

Now I don't claim to be an expert on US Militaria, but I have my doubts as to how old this piece might be.

"My grandpa bought this hat pin many years ago and it was supposedly dug at a Texas Camp in northern virginia."
Often a good fabricated story helps to sell an item. I can also see no obvious signs of it having been in the ground.

I'm sorry to be the one to shed doubts on your grandfathers piece, but I'm thinking 'reproduction'... possibly made for military reenactments. :icon_scratch:
I've been dealing in antiques for almost 40 years and this is just my gut feeling, I hope I'm wrong though.

Dave

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
DiggerKid2003

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No worrys Dave, we were also thinking reproduction we just wanted more opinions.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread