What's new

"One of them is kind of old... 1958" ; "Well... Ill take that one, too."

Half-Hound

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
72
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
"One of them is kind of old... 1958" ; "Well... I'll take that one, too."

Last Saturday I got a 1963 Ben Franklin Half from Bank of America. I went back today. I asked a young teller if she, or any of the other tellers might have any half-dollar coins. She said she would check. She walked down the line of tellers speaking briefly with each of them. She returned and said, "We have only $3 in halves." I said, "Yes, I'd like to have them. Thank You." She went back to get them from the teller who had them and I saw she was looking at the coins as she walked back to me. She almost apologetically said, "One of them is kind of old... 1958." I said, "Well... I'll take that one, too. Thank You." When outside the bank I looked at the six coins; I found a 1967 Kennedy half as well!

Incidentally, the Franklin half from last week and the one today both have what looks like dried glue on the reverse. So I suspect they both came from the same customer. I will try again next Saturday as well.

I used to keep count of how many squirrels I got each season. Now I count coins. And I have 59 silver halves now to my credit. I would never have learned about this hobby if it were not for this site. Thank you to everyone on this message board.

Half-Hound
 
Upvote 0
Re: "One of them is kind of old... 1958" ; "Well... I'll take that one, too."

cool!!! nice score & no dumps! keep it up and hh!
 
Re: "One of them is kind of old... 1958" ; "Well... I'll take that one, too."

You should of said "the older the better". It might make her think of some other old coins, she has seen recently. A small bag of M&M's or Hershey Kisses, might go a long way there. Apparently they aren't too interested in silver. She might become your new best friend.
 
Re: "One of them is kind of old... 1958" ; "Well... I'll take that one, too."

I have gifted M&Ms with a thank-you, but my method of choice is a $5 Starbucks coffee card. And I'd rather gift a coffee card than pay a fee.

Thanks for your reply, Dave.

Half-Hound
 
Re: "One of them is kind of old... 1958" ; "Well... I'll take that one, too."

CHAINCHOMP said:
cool!!! nice score & no dumps! keep it up and hh!
[/quoteIsn't that better spelled- stated as Kool, or Kuoool? ::)
 
Re: "One of them is kind of old... 1958" ; "Well... I'll take that one, too."

nice finds. Bennies are always fun to find.
 
Re: "One of them is kind of old... 1958" ; "Well... I'll take that one, too."

Half-Hound,
Congratulations on the Ben! I like those old Ben's and Walker's. When I was a kid, the tooth fairy would leave Ben's under my pillow when I would loose a tooth. I've always liked that coin, it brings back good memories of gentler and more innocent times!
I second your note of thanks to the good folks on this forum. I've enjoyed reading many interesting posts, seeing the good-natured teasing, and the back and forth between forum friends. The stories have taught me a good bit about this hobby, and I too am appreciative.
Best wishes for happy hunting,
Steve
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom