What's new

One Piece Navy Button

Still Waters

Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2009
Messages
57
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Hello,

I am hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction with reguards to the origin and age of this button. I have tried to outline the detail I can see in the photo. The top of the anchor is a bit blurry, so the crossbar might be mislabeled.

The specs are:
Flat button with shank missing
Anchor and Rope on front
Backmark: H T & ?
Diameter: 18mm

Thank you for any help or info.
Still Waters
 

Attachments

  • flat navy button.webp
    flat navy button.webp
    48.2 KB · Views: 394
Could it be *H. T.& B.* Manchester?
 
Upvote 0
I tell ya anchor buttons are sometimes very tough to ID because there are so many types and varieties. What I can tell you is it will date at least 1790s or into the early part of the 19th century, (backmark could narrow it down) and is most likely British Royal Navy. I don't tend to research the heck out of these because even though I often can't say exactly what they are, I understand enough to know it's almost certainly not going to be rare. It's a funny thing I used to kill it on Navy button for several years but the last while they don't seem to like me anymore. At least someone is still digging them! :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Guessing here, but possibly a 1800-1812 Royal Navy,with H.T & D backmark?

Bill
 
Upvote 0
Thank you for the input. I have never found a Royal Navy button, so this is a nice first. I am still hoping someone can narrow it down by recignizing the backmark.
Thank you,
Still Waters
 
Upvote 0
I think Nova Treasure got it. It looks like HT&D Which would stand for Hammond, Turner & Dickinson. They were from Birmingham England and were in business from about 1790 to about 1820. After that it was Hammond Turner & sons and during the civil war it was Hammond Turner & Bates
 
Upvote 0
nova treasure said:
Guessing here, but possibly a 1800-1812 Royal Navy,with H.T & D backmark?

Bill
I think IP and Nova are correct as usual. The first backmark I posted is CW era only. It was in a British backmark list I saved all along but I didnt look. Most likely Royal Navy as IP said. I have some Royal Navy button links somewhere...
 

Attachments

  • backmarks british HT&D.webp
    backmarks british HT&D.webp
    20 KB · Views: 334
Upvote 0
Thank you guys for the additional research on both the button type and backmark information. And Cyrpess - that link is awesome.

Now my only question is: Were these buttons issued to all sailors or only to officers? It seemed like the buttons in the link were all labeled as officer buttons.

Thank you,
Still Waters
 
Upvote 0
Still Waters said:
Thank you guys for the additional research on both the button type and backmark information. And Cyrpess - that link is awesome.

Now my only question is: Were these buttons issued to all sailors or only to officers? It seemed like the buttons in the link were all labeled as officer buttons.

Thank you,
Still Waters


It was probably gilted and I would say only issued to officers.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom