One single handled rolling pin? Or what?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I'll be! If that isn't the same thing only newer! I had no idea! Especially in old possibly nearly antique pins! Thanks! Digg you lose this one, lol, J/K but I believe releventchair is dead on here and he provided proof! The best of both worlds as no handled pins give ya the best feel but handled ones keep the pin cooler.
I didn't know it was a contest, lol. We can agree to disagree on this one. I'll stick with my original assessment. IMO, A single Chinese modern made, steel, silicone and wood version does not equate to the vintage, all wood, black handled one that you have pictured. It's not too hard to do a little sanding on the end of a rolling pin with a broken handle, even if it is recessed. Yours was probably repurposed as a masher of some sort as evidenced by the staining, added wear, and crack that appears on the broken end. Handles break, it is not uncommon.

Shonk+Pictures+2459.jpg

roller1.jpg
img_0061.jpg

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't know it was a contest, lol. We can agree to disagree on this one. I'll stick with my original assessment. IMO, A single Chinese modern made, steel, silicone and wood version does not equate to the vintage, all wood, black handled one that you have pictured. It's not too hard to do a little sanding on the end of a rolling pin with a broken handle, even if it is recessed. Yours was probably repurposed as a masher of some sort as evidenced by the staining, added wear, and crack that appears on the broken end. Handles break, it is not uncommon.

Shonk+Pictures+2459.jpg

roller1.jpg
img_0061.jpg

Oh Digg it's not a contest! That said my local auction house owner and appraiser says it never had a 2nd handle & was indeed sold this way & said he has seen plenty of them just like it in his days. He said they were often used for purposes other than just a rolling pin & thats one of the reasons why people bought single handled ones because it could be 3-4 tools in one if it didn't have that 2nd pesky handle. He also said this one was prolly once used by a moonshiner from the tell tale staining it has. He went on to say single piece single handled ones are way more common & have been around forever as have no handled ones.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh Digg it's not a contest! That said my local auction house owner and appraiser says it never had a 2nd handle & was indeed sold this way & said he has seen plenty of them just like it in his days. He said they were often used for purposes other than just a rolling pin & thats one of the reasons why people bought single handled ones because it could be 3-4 tools in one if it didn't have that 2nd pesky handle. He also said this one was prolly once used by a moonshiner from the tell tale staining it has. He went on to say single piece single handled ones are way more common & have been around forever as have no handled ones.
Like I said we can agree to disagree. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said we can agree to disagree. :icon_thumright:

Black Handle Wooden Wood Rolling Pin Meat Tenderizer Vtg Kitchen Utensil | eBay
Picture 41.png :dontknow: They do exist & he showed me several examples so I dunno what to think. And most of them had the same identical black handle & identical cap on the end of the handle that mine has. Mine also has the same exact handle & end cap as the one in this eBay ad.

***EDIT*** The examples he showed me were in an older kitchenware appraisal book from the late 90's

Last edited:
OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what you can do with old rolling pins if you have a few or even just one.
Picture 45.png Picture 46.png

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey inspector my mom just showed me that trick! We cut the ones for her kichen storage at a higher angle than that but same concept, they look great and are very functional and sturdy also.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread