What's new

One smooth lady

cmhoose

Sr. Member
Joined
May 2, 2006
Messages
250
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett
My first Walking Liberty Half of 2009 turned out to be one smooth lady. I figure this coin was probably carried as a "pocket piece" by some old man. The front, back, and rim are all nearly worn smooth. Oh, the stories this coin could tell. Wish I could make out a date.

cmhoose
 

Attachments

  • Walking Liberty.webp
    Walking Liberty.webp
    23.6 KB · Views: 367
Upvote 0
Naw the silver makes it worth more than face. I do know one way to get the date although you may not like it. You can scratch it out...yep that is right. I found a early walker in a bit better shape than this one but it was worn flat at the date. Interestingly someone had scratched at the date area with a paper clip or something but you can now make out the date. I guess it just depends on what you think is more valuable a coin with no date or a scratched up coin with a bareley readable date.

-Golden Silver
 
that would be a good coin to make a silver ring out of. the next one i find like that i am going to give it a try. i saw a thread on here about it last week i think.
 
cmhoose-does it make me an old man at 42 because I carry a 1927-s walker in my pocket?? :(

I have carried it for many years now. My daughter wants it one day she said(when I am gone) It looks very much like the one you have shown.
 
Cool find, I love silver in any form. As said, too bad it can't tell its tale.
 
I like to carry a silver dollar in my pocket, but I am more careful with it, and keep it in a plastic carry case. Shame some dont use a case, and that these great coins get worn so smooth. Either way, a walked is a walker, great find!
 
Nice one CMHOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Haha, you told me about it but the pic is nice. Perhaps someday I'll find my first walker... ???
 
why don't you try and place a peice of paper over it and rub a pencil back and forth on top of the paper....sometimes the date shows on the paper
 
Thanks all! Seatedhalf - no offense meant. I carry one myself. My wife made it into a keychain because it had a hole in it. I have carried it for around five years. I was just thinking that if this coin was minted in the teens, think of how long a person could have been carrying it! This could have been a lucky half in the pocket of an American soldier charging the beach at Normandy. ?? You never know. I just wonder how long a person would have to carry a silver half like this to wear it completely smooth?

mistergee said:
why don't you try and place a piece of paper over it and rub a pencil back and forth on top of the paper....sometimes the date shows on the paper

I tried your idea mistergee. Too smooth, no date. I have always wished someone would someday invent a product (such as nic-a-date) to be able to lift images worn smooth. I loved going through all my dateless Buffalo's and seeing the dates just pop up. Of course it kills most numismatic value, but at least you know the date. I have a few holes in my buffalo collection filled with nic-a-date buffs until I can afford a nicer coin.

HH
cmhoose
 
coinmojo said:
It looks like a 1921D or a 1938D To me........ lol

Mojo

I was thinking 1918 or 1927d... :tongue3:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom