What's new

OOLITIC CHERT

wells

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 1, 2008
Messages
683
Reaction score
561
Golden Thread
0
Location
Middleburg, Pa.
Primary Interest:
Other
Most of the oolitic chert found in my area is black with darker black oolits or translucent chert with black oolits. Here is an odd piece for me then. Does anyone else have colorfull oolitic material ? Again i apologize for my poor quality pic.
 

Attachments

  • gems 30oolitic.webp
    gems 30oolitic.webp
    25.2 KB · Views: 513
Upvote 0
I found a bit in western Kentucky. Have one decent hafted scraper out of Oolitic chert.
 
Here's a Jack's Reef from RI. The material probably came from PA........

RI Jack's Reef Oolitic Chert.webp
 
OOoo that is a nice one !

Thanks. Funny thing is I found the point years ago but didn't know what the material was until told by someone who recognized it, and just 2 weeks ago. Only piece I've ever found of oolitic chert.
 
Thanks. Funny thing is I found the point years ago but didn't know what the material was until told by someone who recognized it, and just 2 weeks ago. Only piece I've ever found of oolitic chert.
I learned something new today. :thumbsup:
 
That looks like a quartzite we have here called black quartzite. I found a artifact about 6 months ago that I thought was a piece of granite in a strange shape. Ended up being a early biface and made from black quartzite.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom