Open carry pistol while metal detekting

Hunter101

Feb 24, 2016
Utah
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/Garrett Ace 350/Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My take is I don’t care for open carry due to my training. I am the first taken out in an active shooter situation and now the criminal has two guns.

On the other hand, against a bear who is only armed with arms, if I open carry, he will attack me first and take my gun... I don’t believe in the right to arm bears...

Seriously though. Forest and desert I have no problem open carrying. Everywhere else I refuse.

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently you don't have much experience with bears or open carry first of all open carry is a very bad idea ,it does not pay to advertise that you have a firearm on you you're looking for trouble second A 223 or 9 mm is not a gun for a bear it's like using a BB gun on a cow if you want to carry a gun put it under your clothing like a jacket or a vest if you're concerned about bears a 44 magnum 250 grain flat nose lead bullet should be your round ,I have never had a problem with any bears metal detecting or treasure hunting in Georgia or North Carolina or any other place shouting jumping up-and-down and waving your arms is a good idea if not then I guess my 44 mag will have to do the trick but I do not want to kill anything unless there is a good reason forget the open carry you'll just get yourself in more trouble than you want thank you

Like I stated previously, I doubt ill ever have a issue with bears, my M17 9mm carries 18 rounds fully loaded, Im not going to carry a heavy 44 mag with 5 rounds.... if the bear is still coming at me after 18 rounds well then Ill pull out my trusty Predator ranger shovel and hope for the best lol

Agin my post was directed at open carry while metal detecting and I agree with you on that, but I dont agree with you on your choice of fire arm, Im way to active to lug ol dirty Harry around :laughing9:

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
just get a kazoo.....

any gun you have, should be better than no gun at all

you cant be worried about everything

chances are you'l walk up on someones weed planting before a bear, and humans are way more dangerous

take someone with you to distract the bear, while you run for help

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol I agree with you 100% on the weed planting before the bear, I doubt ill ever see a bear but drunk hill billies i will see... I made the mistake of using bears as an example I should have left that out of my post...:BangHead:

Ill attach the pepper spray to my metal detector and carry a whistle :occasion18:

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
I carry 95% of the time while metal detecting.

Concealed carry though with permit. People around here don't like when you open carry. Never carried a pistol up until a few years ago.

Never really had any serious problems over the years. There's been some arguments and disagreements with people but nothing to serious.

But I spend a good bit of my time hunting alone deep in the woods and in the city in some shady areas so it's nice to know you have some protection on you with your back turned and tight headphones on. My pistol will only come out if it means life or death though.

Don't need to be in any serious troubles over something stupid. And that's usually the case.

Just my 2 cents.

Jer

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
When in woods with wild animals, carry guns.

SAY WHAT ????? i' am more scared of the animals that walk on 2 legs and have a bigger brain than any wild animal. and also carry a gun. most wild animals run at the sight of a human. but ya just never know. animals cant speak their intent

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Apparently you don't have much experience with bears or open carry first of all open carry is a very bad idea ,it does not pay to advertise that you have a firearm on you you're looking for trouble second A 223 or 9 mm is not a gun for a bear it's like using a BB gun on a cow if you want to carry a gun put it under your clothing like a jacket or a vest if you're concerned about bears a 44 magnum 250 grain flat nose lead bullet should be your round ,I have never had a problem with any bears metal detecting or treasure hunting in Georgia or North Carolina or any other place shouting jumping up-and-down and waving your arms is a good idea if not then I guess my 44 mag will have to do the trick but I do not want to kill anything unless there is a good reason forget the open carry you'll just get yourself in more trouble than you want thank you

Apparently you've never been in bear country. A bear will not wait for you to find your concealed weapons and draw it. They appear out of nowhere and come at you quickly. Concealed carry is NOT a good idea but then again I don't know you, we're not related and I don't really care if one eats you so just do what you please but do not tell others to CC in bear Country, it could easily get someone else hurt of killed

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depending how it is concealed it can be produced pretty quickly.

Waistband under a vest (like a fishing or photographer vest), under an untucked shirt (like a Hawaiian shirt), shoulder holster under a windbreaker. Inside the waistband is a little better concealed; but I conceal with both inside and outside holsters at times.

Generally though, if you are out where the bear occur then open carry isn't a problem. It town parks, fairgrounds and picnic grounds - not so much. And in most states schools are zero tolerance to any firearm.

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , I get some the most venomous snakes and critters in the world in my backyard. I walk around with no shoes on. How many wild bears do get your back yards ? Just another ridiculous gun gloat TP

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi , I get some the most venomous snakes and critters in the world in my backyard. I walk around with no shoes on. How many wild bears do get your back yards ? Just another ridiculous gun gloat TP
Gun bloat......kinda what I meant.

Threats exist, no doubt. But paranoia is popular nowdays.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry 99.9 % of the time now, it is a right I have, I already had to pull my firearm once because of being attacked at a stoplight in broad daylight by some idiot trying to force me to give him a ride.

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending how it is concealed it can be produced pretty quickly.

Waistband under a vest (like a fishing or photographer vest), under an untucked shirt (like a Hawaiian shirt), shoulder holster under a windbreaker. Inside the waistband is a little better concealed; but I conceal with both inside and outside holsters at times.

Generally though, if you are out where the bear occur then open carry isn't a problem. It town parks, fairgrounds and picnic grounds - not so much. And in most states schools are zero tolerance to any firearm.

Common seance goes a long way....

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I forgot one of the best remedies is bear spray it works great on bears and unruly human beings thank you

Kinda depends on which way the wind is blowin there Barney.
download.jpg

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Two have been seen.
Others been through.
One ran near on my way back to the house after a deer hunt , cut ahead of me and stood and looked me over briefly.
Did not have a tag for bear. Or a problem with it.

Most folks don't see bear. Even where they exist.
Get around enough bear and you up the odds of the rare one that has an attitude about humans.

A friend has some that are what many folks would consider aggressive.
Part of that is competition among themselves , and humans being treated like other bears.
He ran one out of his barn. A younger one without the experience of some of the older ones.
Others he has warned me not to yell at while hunting if they get near and show interest in me....They are not hunted much and some contest humans announcing themselves by growling and popping their teeth while holding their ground.
Gets interesting when light fades and you head back to your vehicle after a hunt too....Or head out in the predawn.

No , we are not going to shoot one for being aggressive. At least if they don't charge into handshaking range with ears back and ready to chomp.

DigDug216

Feb 22, 2016
Statesville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (May2015) and Equinox 800 (March2019)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tuck the gun in my waist band if i feel the need to carry. I do not have a permit and the gun is a "throw away" in case i do put someone down. I filed down the latch on the trigger so you barely touch it and it will fire. Sometimes i can tap on the side of the gun and it will fire. The reaction time is super fast as a result. If I hear a noise behind me, i turn with the barrel blazing and can get 4 or 5 down range before im fully turned. That is how fast this gun is. I then inspect once the smoke clears. Sometimes if im not having luck metal detecting, i will aim the gun straight up in the air and fire it to see how close the bullet lands to me. If i get it pretty straight up and down, i can get the bullet to land within 10 feet. I practice a lot and hope to get within 5 feet in the next few months. If anyone is up this way, let me know and we can go metal detecting sometime.

Bottlecapbill

Feb 4, 2014
Sault St. Marie , Ontario Canada
Detector(s) used
AT PRO International, Blisstool V3, Makro Multi Kruzer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm Canadian. The only point at which I can legally defend my life or property is apparently at the point I've already been killed. I do make sure my digger and shovel are always nice and sharp however. :D

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tuck the gun in my waist band if i feel the need to carry. I do not have a permit and the gun is a "throw away" in case i do put someone down. I filed down the latch on the trigger so you barely touch it and it will fire. Sometimes i can tap on the side of the gun and it will fire. The reaction time is super fast as a result. If I hear a noise behind me, i turn with the barrel blazing and can get 4 or 5 down range before im fully turned. That is how fast this gun is. I then inspect once the smoke clears. Sometimes if im not having luck metal detecting, i will aim the gun straight up in the air and fire it to see how close the bullet lands to me. If i get it pretty straight up and down, i can get the bullet to land within 10 feet. I practice a lot and hope to get within 5 feet in the next few months. If anyone is up this way, let me know and we can go metal detecting sometime.

You sure you want to be sticking this particular weapon in your waist band??!?!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Horse Apples

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread