Open carry pistol while metal detekting

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
So a few on here who know me would wonder why I this happened the way it did? Well &*%$ happens,,,lol
I was detecting a very rural wagon train/stage stop and it was right up against the foothills here in Northern Utah. This area is not uncommon for me and I've had several interesting sightings including a Black Bear within 50 yards, still another I thought I found bigfoot, but this was a cinnamon phase black bear. So I've always carried my .40 Cz duty pistol with me when I'm out there. On this particular day while going around the location the stage horses had been kept and tied out at ( large cut out up into the bank so its a flat area against the hillside) A very large Mountain Lion graced me with its presents less than 25 yards in front of me. It literally jumped out in front of me and had no clue I was there. Scared the Sh&#!!!! out of me, I had the pistol drawn and on target as the lion quartered away from me now acting very startled! When I realized I had not loaded the pistol!!! There was no way to get the gun loaded before the Mountain Lion attacked me, if it intended to this I was toast! I had a left hand full of equipment and a right hand full of unloaded gun. Luckily the animal spun around after catching wind of me ( Mennen Speed stick is good for something!) and ran up the hill side. Since this little episode, I now carry a snub .357 mag revolver with me, this way I just squeeze the trigger till she goes Boom!!
Stay Gold!
Opie

Opie

Aug 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
So we can argue ballistics like we do detectors on here, but the truth behind the recent FBI 9mm data and switch back to 9mm is very basic, 9mm has less recoil than a 10mm, .357 sig .40 s&w and .45 acp. Shot placement is everything and something I leaned that day. I would be taking that shot lone one handed, with no support. I'll get ate by the Chewbacabra before I launch my expensive V3i or any other expensive detector I'm using out to the ground. When I'm up in big bear country we wear bells and whistle while we work! I do carry a gun but not a big one I'm getting old!,,,lol
Opie

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right Grizz12. The second the gun came out I should have walked out of the house. My fault for almost getting shot.

Owning an object does not make someone good or bad. How they handle themselves around others does

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toecutter, I skipped over all the comments just to tell you this story. This happened to me two years ago.

You didnt miss much, thank you for sharing.....

OP
OP
Toecutter

Toecutter

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2018
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I find it interesting most people focused on the gun size and bears vs open carry while metal detecting :dontknow:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I open carry in the woods. Not so much around town where I could be ambushed by someone. It can make you a possible target in populated areas and that could be very bad. I almost always conceal it in town.
When I'm prospecting and camping I usually take my s&w model 29 44mag and a western style buscadero gun belt. It rides a little lower on the leg "gun fighter style" than a modern belt holster and is easier access with a pack on my back instead of high on my hip. I also like that I can just take off the entire gun belt and hang it close and the gun stays in the holster, extra 18 rounds in bullet loops around back.
I changed out the hand grip for one of the newer molded rubber ergonomic grips and it's perfect now.
I carry semi autos everywhere else. S&W 40 compact or a Springfield armory 45 acp XD Mod2 subcompact. There are easier guns to conceal carry than those but I prefer it that way.

If I'm digging and camping close to my car I leave those at home and bring the mossberg 500.
I dont generally like digging with a firearm on my hip unless I'm on the move. If I'm stopped for an amount of time or digging a big hole and running material I take it off and set it aside.

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As i stated early in this thread, i don't carry in or out of the woods because it adds weight to my belt. Personally i don't see the need for a gun in the woods unless i am hunting. As for others and their need for protection, people should do whatever makes them feel comfortable within the limits of the law.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just did carry while detecting, but I didn't manage to find any trouble.

I did remembered I was packing when I peeked into this audit..
97A0A183-1FC6-4A44-9602-75CDC98E0670.jpeg
(Turn ur head I guess)
Never know what is using this as shelter.
Could be a mountain lion curled up inside, or maybe a pack of coyotes.
Wasn't scared, but I was aware that something could come running out. My luck a skunk.

Better than leaving it in my truck to get stolen while I was hiking.

Last edited:

A#1

Feb 18, 2018
Traverse City, Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's my take on it....

Guns, carry, and self defense are popular subjects, and big money now days.

People invent all sorts of silly ass zombie crap in their minds leading them to some justification for "needing ' a firearm to carry by their side, and even more guns for other scenarios where they might need to breach a door, sweep a house, or help the SEALS rescue the president from terrorists.

It's pretty much testosterone driven brainwashing, too much television and Call of Duty, and too little living in the real world.

That being said.......

I reckon I'll just fess up to my podunk nature. When I go treasure hunting, it's usually a weekend long chainsaw beer drinking, camping, detecting, prospecting dusty dirty, fun in the bush.....and I'm a gun guy that stops and shoots at places along the way. You could say, I'm armed like an idiot. I carry openly, concealed, in town, out, I just don't care, where I go, a gun usually goes with me.

There's a 308 pistol, and an AR15 that ride along side us in the truck, Ruger LCR 38+p in the console that goes in my pocket, and a Kimber 45 under the seat. Usually there also either a 308AR, or a 300wm bolt rifle that I target shoot at long distances. I don't worry about the humans or the bear that my imagination might run across, I worry about the boogie man. Plus I just sleep better with a heater.

Do whatever you want, there sorta is no right or wrong here. Just don't overdo it because some gun store guy with size issues told you you HAD to have it.

Chances are that scary bear would run away if blow a whistle at it too....

Keep your powder dry.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's my take on it....

People invent all sorts of silly ass zombie crap in their minds leading them to some justification for "needing ' a firearm to carry by their side, and even more guns for other scenarios where they might need to breach a door, sweep a house, or help the SEALS rescue the president from terrorists.

It's pretty much testosterone driven brainwashing, too much television and Call of Duty, and too little living in the real world.

That being said.......

I reckon I'll just fess up to my podunk nature. When I go treasure hunting, it's usually a weekend long chainsaw beer drinking, camping, detecting, prospecting dusty dirty, fun in the bush.....and I'm a gun guy that stops and shoots at places along the way. You could say, I'm armed like an idiot. I carry openly, concealed, in town, out, I just don't care, where I go, a gun usually goes with me.

There's a 308 pistol, and an AR15 that ride along side us in the truck, Ruger LCR 38+p in the console that goes in my pocket, and a Kimber 45 under the seat. Usually there also either a 308AR, or a 300wm bolt rifle that I target shoot at long distances. I don't worry about the humans or the bear that my imagination might run across, I worry about the boogie man. Plus I just sleep better with a heater.

Do whatever you want, there sorta is no right or wrong here. Just don't overdo it because some gun store guy with size issues told you you HAD to have it.

Keep your powder dry.

L.o.l..
I didn't even think about breaching the door when I locked myself out the other day...Maybe next time.:laughing7:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's my take on it....

That being said.......

Keep your powder dry.

The truth of the matter is some people just shouldn't have guns.
Eventually those types of people do something to help that along.

Funny you say that.."Silly ass zombi crap" that's what I wrote on my CCW permit application as justification ;)

What's sad is the change I've seen over my lifetime.
Anybody that has lengthy real world life experience can see this happening.
There are some real valid reasons that have nothing to do with beer drinking and target practice.

The OP considering carrying while in the woods has nothing to do with zombies or his imagination as far as I could tell.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a special section in the local paper for zombies..it's called BOOKINGS.
Allows regular folk to keep track of them.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's my take on it....

Perhaps. I don't own a semi-auto rifle because I see no need for one - but I deer hunt with a very accurate (lightweight) bolt action. But I did go to the effort and problems of getting an unrestricted carry permit for New York State.

I have no illusions of zombies. No concern of lions, tigers or bears. WWIII I'll be dead as I sleep or take a pee because I can't compete with a modern soldier's equipment. But there are folks hereabout who will kill a convenience store clerk for what's in the cash drawer or a pizza delivery courier for the $30 they may have. Or stick a knife in you because the worms in their head said so and you were just a random available body.

I was on Grand Jury duty for a 17 year old who had to kill a man so he could join a local Vietnam related gang. (Actually it was the driver and older gang member). Members drove him around until they found a target. They chose a poor schmuck taking out his garbage and that guy dodged the first three shots before catching several in the back. This in a town of 28,000 people - hardly LA or NYC.

85% of humans are basically good. 5% are truly evil with no remorse or empathy. Maybe 10% in some areas.

I carry in church, or fishing, or walking the dog, for the same reason I carry detecting. Because I have lived long enough to know humans and some are not good. Not good at all.

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Theres been a call back on Remington 700's if anyone has one, someone mentioned a bolt action earlier. Apparently some have been firing by themselves. Just a heads up and they are one of the most popular out there.
Someone shooting themselves because they are an idiot is one thing, a gun malfunction is another. I'd hate for that to happen to anyone.

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Theres been a call back on Remington 700's if anyone has one, someone mentioned a bolt action earlier. Apparently some have been firing by themselves. Just a heads up and they are one of the most popular out there.
Someone shooting themselves because they are an idiot is one thing, a gun malfunction is another. I'd hate for that to happen to anyone.

Good info. I think there is a specific serial number range.
That type of accident can only happen if the gun is loaded and pointed in an unsafe direction. That happens ;(

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I'm the only one professional enough in this room to handle this gun"

I don't care who you are this is funny (feel free to delete link if this violates the rules).
Careful out there.

Cop shoots himself in foot.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rSTIV2esa-k

Anybody notice Brian gets a rifle pointed at him even after the cop shoots himself in the foot!

Last edited:

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Whites SL90, Surf PI, Minelab Excalibur 800
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Apparently you don't have much experience with bears or open carry first of all open carry is a very bad idea ,it does not pay to advertise that you have a firearm on you you're looking for trouble second A 223 or 9 mm is not a gun for a bear it's like using a BB gun on a cow if you want to carry a gun put it under your clothing like a jacket or a vest if you're concerned about bears a 44 magnum 250 grain flat nose lead bullet should be your round ,I have never had a problem with any bears metal detecting or treasure hunting in Georgia or North Carolina or any other place shouting jumping up-and-down and waving your arms is a good idea if not then I guess my 44 mag will have to do the trick but I do not want to kill anything unless there is a good reason forget the open carry you'll just get yourself in more trouble than you want thank you

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I forgot one of the best remedies is bear spray it works great on bears and unruly human beings thank you

Harvest

Apr 6, 2008
Daytona Beach, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I forgot one of the best remedies is bear spray it works great on bears and unruly human beings thank you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread