centaur

Feb 12, 2013
Greece
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 705 Artemis LRL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lttle bit of world history here.

In early April 1941 and in light of the fact that the country of Greece was to fall to the Nazi occupation, orders were given by the government to transfer the gold reserves from the National Bank of Greece to "lands that were not occupied".
According to documents that have been published,the total of the gold reserves for Greece at that time was 611,000 ounces in the form of bars and brittish sovereigns (approx 17.4 tons).

In total secrecy the reserves were loaded on the frigates " King George" and "Queen Olga" and ordered to sail from Pireaus harbor in Athens for Irakleion ,Crete where it was to be stowed in the Bank of Greece there.

Because of attacks from enemy bombers while the ships were en route, a decision was made ,orders were changed and the gold was to go to Egypt.

The Greek frigates met up with the Brittish Royal Navy corvette "Salvia" and the frigate "Dido" ,the gold was transferred to those ships while under heavy attack.

The gold made it safely to Alexandria Egypt were it was tranfered and stored in the Bank of Egypt in Cairo.

But after some success by Rommel in North Africa, it was ruled that the gold was unsafe even there.
King George of Greece was on his way to London with his family via South Africa, so it was only natural that the gold reserves follow him, so the gold ended up in Germiston,Traansval, where it was decided to change the gold coins to bars.
After a short period of safe keeping in the Bank of South Africa, when it was deemed safe, and the gold was not under threat from the Germans, it was loaded and transfered once again, this time to London.

At the end of the war, and with the allied occupion, when Greece asked for return of the gold reverves from Britain, the answer was ,"the reserves were used to cover the xpenses of the Greek Armed Forces in the Middle East and that "the Crown owed nothing to Greece"

It is worth noting here ,that on March 9 1942, the Crown had signed an agreement with Greece that they would cover all the expenses of the Greek Armed Forces since they were under direct orders from Brittish Middle East Headquarters.

Now, in 1942 there were two resistance groups in Greece. EDES and ELAS. EDES was right wing, ELAS was left.

According to Brittish documents,during the period 1942-44, there were 1,300,000 gold sovereigns dropped by parachute in small aluminum tubes or "barrels" to these resistance forces for support. 250-300,000 to EDES and 1,000,000 to ELAS.

To be continued...

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

centaur

Feb 12, 2013
Greece
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At the end of the War and with the exit of the allied forces, the country was in total anarchy and in need of a government. Rioting,killing and looting was rampant, and civil war broke out.
The left wing forces wanted a communist government for the people and their method of persuation was force. Join the "Party" or die.

They roamed the countryside taking whatever was needed for the "cause" looting, plundering,recruiting soldiers by force.
As an afternote, during 1942-44, ELAS wasnt a total communist party.It was a left resistance movement.It became communist toward the end of the war. Thats a whole different story on its own.

Because of the war, the National paper currency was worthless, and the currency of the day was gold coin, so we can only imagine how much gold was looted ,and if we take into account the 1,300,000 sovereigns dropped by parachute this is the gold which we seek.

Now because of finds of documentation found in bunkers in the mountains, we come to conclusions that there was an organized plan and all the gold was for the "party",hidden in aproximately 1100 hideouts throughout the country to be used for whatever was necessary for the party's survival.

We dont know the exact figure of the gold coins out there, but we can only speculate if we take into account how much gold was used for arms, clothing ,food, ( a lot of this was also stolen )how much gold was stolen by the crooked captains and their bunch and re hidden, how much was stolen from the people,from the monastaries ( probably close to half of what was dropped by the Brits. The monasteries ruled over the centuries and held a lot of wealth.),but we know there were 1100 documented caches of which approximately the 7-800 have been found or removed by members of the party who returned after many years in exile,found by accident etc.
They had their own code for hiding , marking large trees and big rocks which they knew would withstand time.
These caches can be anywhere from 500-1000, 1000-4000,7000 (ammo can),20,000 or 40,000 gold sovereigns which was a large olive oil can of the day.
They would organize the cache location. They were topographers. A group would go make the marks, then the captain or 2nd lieutenant would would have slaves or soldiers carry the loot,dig the hole, and in most cases everyone present would get shot after the cache was hidden, and only the #1 and 2# knew where the cache was. The cache would have a number and thats how we know how many there were. There were notebooks with the codes.
These were held by the colonels. Some have come to light. A lot have been deciphered.
We know a lot more now from past finds.

We know the depths at which they buried, what their bunkers looked like, their routes of travel from one area to to next. The mountains which they hid.

So we follow leads and investigate different areas
And now with unemployment being what it is over here,we have more time for it.
Its myself and a friend on my team and we have sought the wisdom of a well respected member of this forum for help. Thanks for everything RD.
We have close to a dozen very good leads within a 40 mile radius of where I live which we have been working on over the last two years ,and we are looking for a piece of equipment if anyone can help out. We need a NEL BIG search coil for a minelab xterra 705.

If anyone can and wants to help out, please pm me.

Thanks

We're not looking for investors, we're not looking for handouts. Sponsor would be a better word. We just need some help with a deep seeking searchcoil.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great story; care to reference or post your source for:
"According to Brittish documents,during the period 1942-44, there were 1,300,000 gold sovereigns dropped by parachute in small aluminum tubes or "barrels" to these resistance forces for support. 250-300,000 to EDES and 1,000,000 to ELAS."
Thanks,
Don...

OP
OP
C

centaur

Feb 12, 2013
Greece
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
C

centaur

Feb 12, 2013
Greece
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have no idea how much thieving. This country has been ransacked for centuries. The loot is beyond belief. My focus with the thread though is on the WW2 and mostly for the civil war loot from 45-49.
I spent some time today to dig up old newspaper clips and tie up some loose ends in regards to how the figures came about and I want to make a correction on my original post.
The Brittish didnt document these airdrops,but the Greeks did.So my above post should read,"documents that have come to light"

EDES General Napoleon Zervas wrote in his chronicles that he had recieved 268,266 gold from the Brittish and also kept a log as to where the money was spent.
The current Greek President Carolos Papoulias was at that time an officer of ELAS and he remarked in a newspaper interview that "ELAS was given four times what EDES was given."
So thats how the 1,000,000 figure came to be.
Im sure that in the Brittish officers memoirs who were directly involved there is something but I havent read any of their bibliography.
Over the years there has been much controversy about this figure,as I have said before, if we take into account that Zervas used his portion to keep the Greek economy going by pumping coin into the local economies so people could buy daily staples so they wouldnt die of starvation, and on the other hand ELAS would go from door to door and rob people of whatever they had ,all for "The Cause",and then they would collect 10% of all the crops grown to feed their soldiers .
If we also take into account how much they stole from the Nazis they killed before the civil war, its very easy to see that we cannot have an exact figure. So we use the what is the known minimum.

There are a lot of people who have found,as I have said. there were aprox 1100 caches and it is estimated ,or should I say guesstimated that close to 2/3 have been found.So that leaves over 350 that havent been, possibly more.

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'm confused. You don't what an investor nor a handout, but you do want a "Sponsor" to assist you in obtaining a coin (15" X 17") NEL coil for a Minelab X-Terra. Is that correct? How do you define "Sponsor". Are we talking about the same coil as shown here for $279?
http://www.amazon.com/Coil-NEL-Big-Minelab-X-Terra/dp/B007RQK35W
Don...

Last edited:

Jones Indiana

Dec 24, 2010
The Greek unemployment rate is at 27% which falls into a Great Depression.

The Greeek media has been filling the papers with tales of hidden assets (treasure) for the last 9 months.
Mostly aa a way to give (false) hope.

Recall someone talking about "Change" over here.

Basically Greece is a post WW1 Germany..........

Jones

OP
OP
C

centaur

Feb 12, 2013
Greece
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, thats the coil. Sponsor is defined as one who finances an event and gets credit for the same, and if there is victory, shares in the glory . Like Indy 500 sponsors.

Indiana, I can see where you're coming from about false hope. This probably is true for the majority who are in misery , but you are not here , and dont know the real deal.
Back to thread topic. There have been over five caches, maybe even call them hoards, recovered within ten minutes of my house.I know these people. I live in an area where there was a guerilla travel route and extensive guerilla activity.
I explained the reasoning behind the caches. Some were for future use, some were stolen etc etc.
Ive got more than ten good solid leads which are narrowed down, some in my area ,some a little further out, all within 40 or 50 kliks of where I live and Im on the tail end of the first job. I'll be there within the next few days thanks to Red desert saving me a years time going from one clue to the next.
And through Reds efforts some new prospects have also come up. So we dont know how this thing will unfold ,but it will certainly be interesting and fun.

Hey theres no guarantee but you know what,for 280 bucks, I bet some people spend that in a bar drinking on the weekend, so why not go for it.

This job is for two ammo cans at 7000 bits each. So far, everything on this one has been solid down to the last clue which send us to where RD shows me.
Im doing this all in good faith. I asked Red desert for help explaining him the situation here, he offered his help freely. Now If there is a find in the future, how could I forget him.I would be a creep then wouldnt I?

Last edited:

Jones Indiana

Dec 24, 2010
Either this is going to be a tragedy or a comedy...........

Will sponsor $50.00 if you raise the other $230.00

It's a start kid:)

Jone

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

centaur

Feb 12, 2013
Greece
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Archaeologist Treasure hunter Looter. My kinda guy. Give this man a banner and thumbs up.Because theres not many people who would do this.
Thanks Jones. I'll send you a pm.
230 bucks to go.Lets do a forum goes treasure hunting in Greece gig.Whats fifty bucks at ten shots for a handful of loot with a 50/50 chance for recovery.
Jonesy you get two handfuls because youre the first man to do the right thing. (technicaly second after Red desert).

And when you think about it, in the end,Im the one whos going to be doing all the digging. You guys and gals get to watch the show on you tube and eat popcorn.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

centaur

Feb 12, 2013
Greece
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW !!! Thanks CC !!! I am at a lack for words. Really .
Its midnight here now. We are planning to make a first attempt at this one location on Wednesday so tomorow we have a meet and slowly start getting the gear together,going over the checklist.
Will send you PM tomorow morning.
Thanks again........... and about wishing you could go digging here ..............be careful what you wish for.

OP
OP
C

centaur

Feb 12, 2013
Greece
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didnt think about it until now,but this is probably going to be the most expensive searchcoil in the world.

OP
OP
C

centaur

Feb 12, 2013
Greece
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My post was intended with humor and it is too early to think about the government. It will ruin all the fun.

geezerdb

Jan 18, 2013
NE Oregon
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab X-Terra 705, Mine Lab GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Don't leave us hanging too long- keep us posted on what you find. This is a good story!!

OP
OP
C

centaur

Feb 12, 2013
Greece
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave you hanging too long probably depends on how fast we can get the bigger coil. We've been doing a lot of work behind the scenes here the last week. Sorry I cant post pics.Im afraid of too many eyes from my neck of the woods and I posted too many already.. Im not the only one who speaks English.
Im trying to show some face and come up with 75-100 eurobucks soon and then we should be one step closer.But its not easy when youre running on empty.We're down to fumes.
Its almost like an Indiana Jones movie for real.lol

OP
OP
C

centaur

Feb 12, 2013
Greece
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres the update on todays expedition. Rain and more rain. We were all set to go this morning and then on the way, it hit us again,so we packed it in and turned around for home.
Looks like we will just have to wait until the weather breaks in a few more days.

OP
OP
C

centaur

Feb 12, 2013
Greece
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heres the latest update. I'm good for 80 euro. Thats 104 USD. Plus the 100 from Jones Indiana and CCHunter (again thank you both),thats another 76euros. So we are at 156 euros.
I have to order the coil through EU so I dont get tariffed. They want 239 euros. Im still short 83 euros.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

centaur

Feb 12, 2013
Greece
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the latest update. A third party who wishes to remain anonymous has chosen to sponsor our cause so the balance has been filled. The searchcoil will be ordered within the next few days.

At this point I would like to give a special thanks to Treasurenet and the moderators who didnt delete any part of my posts and this way helping us out in this hour of need. You guys have big hearts. You cant imagine the situation over here and how bad it is.
You wont be forgotten. Thank you.

Its a great forum with great people and I'll keep the thread updated. But the select few will get something more.

Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread