What's new

Opinion on this one.

digger460

Silver Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2015
Messages
2,984
Reaction score
3,299
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
Was metal detecting yesteday on a farm next to the Mazon River. I had a signal which was directly under this. The signal was another square nail, but I thought this piece of lime stone was interesting enough where I had to ask some questions about it.

About a quarter mile on the other side of the river is a well known Native American camp. Off limits to hunt because it's on private property. The river in that area has produced alot of artifacts in the past.

I guess my question is, did they use limestone for any type of tools/weapons?

Me thinking is, water erosion, or maybe a dissolve root, but I didn't want to leave behind just in case.

Your thoughts?

Thanks for looking! HH DSCF1502.webpDSCF1503.webpDSCF1507.webpDSCF1509.webp
 
Upvote 0
natural would be my guess
 
folk used whatever they had to work with so yes, limestone while not a first choice was used for lack of better stone. we see lots of quarts points on this site...hard to work with and most are pretty crude...but you use what you have to work with.
 
folk used whatever they had to work with so yes, limestone while not a first choice was used for lack of better stone. we see lots of quarts points on this site...hard to work with and most are pretty crude...but you use what you have to work with.

quartz i mean quartz...geez how embarrassing
 
Pretty sure it’s natural. Nature can do some Interesting things.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom